Is Microsoft on to something with their Windows 8 attack ads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chris, Jul 9, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Ok, so we've got a bit of a trend here with Microsoft ripping the iPad. The big focus here is on multitasking. On the iPad, it's more or less app switching. There are some nice changes to multitasking in iOS 7, but it's largely the same. The preview will help out a bit, but nothing changes when it comes to running multiple apps. That's the focus of this latest ad.

Do they have a point? It's the multitasking you find on your computer, but on a tablet? Is that desirable? Does it deliver a superior tablet computing experience? Thoughts?

#1 chris, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Does it only work on video calls? Or can you squeeze any app to one side while opening another on the other side?

It just doesn't seem like it would scale well across the whole OS, which is a pretty big usability issue.

Secondly, in that particular situation, the iPad guy would have been just fine, only losing out on video (for a routine businesss call, honestly, who cares). He would have still been able to pull up the player's stats as easily as the other guy, while maintaining the audio call (as they even mention in the ad).

Thirdly, I imagine most people would call a colleague on their phone while doing field work, not a video chat on a tablet.

3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

All true, but true multitasking is a huge deal on a pc. I run way too many applications at the same time for my job. 3 at a minimum. I would love this on a my iPad. A browser, a document or two, email on a split screen would be awesome.

Yeah their marketing folks nailed this function.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

really, you want all that on a 7-10" screen?

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Yes

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

One article I read on the subject said they'd first have to find two Surface apps they'd want to run at the same time. :)