Is my Contacts info being sent to the cloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleMicrosoft, Sep 9, 2017.

1. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

I moved from Android to iPhone after years of anxting over which of the juggernauts would be less disrepectful of one's privacy, and more diligent about the safety of the apps in their store. I chose Apple, and recently made the move. Last month, that is, and I am being inducted into the world of iOS with version 10.

I noticed with consternation that my contacts display a small map image of the address. I don't keep my contacts in the cloud, and never use the cloud for transferring contact informaton. I use AkrutoSync to sync up with my Outlook client on my laptop (Windows 7) over home WiFi. As far as I know, mapping out the addresses in my Contacts is not possible without those addresses being sent to a mapping service somewhere. I don't recall being asked for this to happen, and no switch or parameter that I can find under Privacy or Contacts seems to be responsible.

Can anyone suggest what might be enabling this?

2. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

I just got off the phone with Apple Support, 1800MyApple. All of the address info across all my Contacts is in fact sent to their servers without notification or permission.

3. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

It looks like Apple has adopted the position that it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission. Not that they're seeking forgiveness, mind you. It all boils down to the privacy enforcement measures available, I suppose. To think that I chose this juggernaut based on its respect for individual rights and privacy.

4. likepeople

likepeople New Member

Maybe

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's how it works. I'm pretty sure all that info is secure. It's the same with all smartphones, be it Apple, Google, or Microsoft. I don't worry about it. If I did, I'd just get a flip phone.

6. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

Being secure is better than not, but I'm more bothered by the fact that it was taken at all. Security of transmittal and proper disposal only matters if the info is being taken off the phone, and the removal of my data is not something that I'm OK with. I don't recall any indications of this kind of flouting of privacy in Cyanogenmod (though Android had its own problems which caused me to switch). Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, of course, but if it does, it's not with such impunity.

7. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

Being secure is better than not, but I'm more bothered by the fact that it was taken at all. Security of transmittal and proper disposal only matters if the info is being taken off the phone, and the removal of my data is not something that I'm OK with. I don't recall any indications of this kind of flouting of privacy in Cyanogenmod (though Android had its own problems which caused me to switch). Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, of course, but if it does, it's not with such impunity.

AFTERNOTE: Actually, upon reflection, maybe impunity is better than stealth absconding with data. At least they're being up front and transparent about it. It sounds a bit perverse to see the good in it, but I'll take my positivity where I can.