Is my iPhone hacked?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Duck1098, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

My girlfriend told me that my facebook messenger showed "active 13 minutes ago" but that was 2 in the morning and I know I was asleep. I just scanned my computer and its clean.. or at least AVG says it is. Only weird thing happening in the last few days was when I received an email that had a PDF and Docx attachment. I was not able to open those attachments on the phone for some reason and later that email completely disappeared. Couldn't even find it in Trash. I called the real estate agent that sent that email to me and asked him if he somehow retracted it but he was clue less to what I was talking about. However, the client that sent him those files seems a little shady and I'm worried that those files were infected. Is it possible that my iPhone is hacked? It is jailbroken, if that makes any difference. Restoring it now.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're restoring your phone because facebook showed you as active when you were asleep? Your phone is fine; it's locked down pretty tightly by Apple. Facebook accounts, however, get hacked all the time. I'd just reset the Facebook password if you're worried about it. I don't think the online activity indicator is 100% reliable, so it might not be anything to be concerned about.

3. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Just trying to narrow the problem down. They'd have to access either my PC or my iPhone to get to my FB account. So since my PC checked out clean, or as far as the antivirus can tell, I thought it might be the phone, especially with that shady email that I opened on it few days ago. So is there any sort of reliable virus scanner for the iPhone? I know most believe there has never been any problems with viruses but just want to be 100% sure. Too much information at jeopardy.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They do not need access to your computer or your phone to hack your Facebook account. Hackers are pretty tricky in how they steal passwords. It doesn't mean that anything else on your phone is compromised. It's just the Facebook account. Honestly, it could be nothing. You're basing this all on online status showing when it shouldn't. It isn't always accurate. Spam being posted from your account on your wall or sent to your contacts via email is proof that it's hacked.

You do not need an antivirus for your iPhone. There aren't any iOS viruses at this time and this problem isn't a virus anyway.

Just change your Facebook password. Restoring your phone is unnecessary.

The best thing you can do to prevent this from happening again is to use a strong password and never put your password in unless you're certain it's the real Facebook site. If you get a message from a friend with a link asking you to log, don't do it. That's a phishing site made to look almost as identical to the real site and it's one of several ways that passwords are stolen.

5. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Thanks. yes I'm not worried about the FB account, I just wanted to make sure other things on my computer aren't at risk. Thanks for the help. At least I can narrow it down to the PC now.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They aren't at risk. And wasn't trying to imply that you should worry about your facebook account. I've been trying to get you to stop worrying about everything else you're concerned about. It's pretty simple: When your facebook is hacked, you reset your Facebook password and carry on...but your Facebook account probably isn't even hacked. Your phone and PC are fine.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You want to make sure your FB account is okay. That "Active xx minutes ago" indicator in the middle of the night can be a catalyst for a spat with a girlfriend any time. :unsure: