Is my iPhone permenantly unlocked?

CowboYZ

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Florida
Since I pwned my first generation iPhone while on firmware 2.0 will it remain unlocked whenever I update it to 2.1 firmware and other upcoming firmwares?

I understand that it will not be jailbroken forever, but since I unlocked it, I should be able to freely update it regularly through iTunes, right? As long as Apple doesn't change the baseband.

Thanks, I just want to make sure.

Since I pwned my first generation iPhone while on firmware 2.0 will it remain unlocked whenever I update it to 2.1 firmware and other upcoming firmwares?

I understand that it will not be jailbroken forever, but since I unlocked it, I should be able to freely update it regularly through iTunes, right? As long as Apple doesn't change the baseband.

no i don't believe it will stay unlocked because in order to update, you must restore your phone... and that will set it back to factory settings... this will delete the jailbreak and unlock... and 2.1 has yet to be jailbroken or unlocked...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Rel is correct. You will have to re-unlock the phone using the new iPhone firmware if you choose to upgrade. As of right now I do not think that the 2.1 firmware is unlocked so you will have to wait for the unlock to become available. Just as the Jailbreak is removed, so is the unlocking.

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
pwnage 2.1, I believe, has unlocked a V1 2.1.0 that a friend is buying from me. While going through the motions of jailbreaking, I noticed the blurb about "will this phone be activated through iTunes" and I chose "no". On my V2 I chose yes as I am with ATT. When the V1 rebooted it went into a bootneuter (on the phone, not the computer) that "fudged" the baseband or something. Tomorrow I'm dropping buy work to put his tmobile card from his (my previous) V1 1.1.4 into this V1 2.1.0 to see if it works. This other V1 is for his wife for as long as she remembers not to leave it anywhere..... Xp

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston

no, because every single Apple update for the iPhone updates the baseband.

Unless you choose "Disable Baseband Update" when you pwn 2.1