Is my new (used) 3GS already jailbroken or unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Little-Acorn, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

I bought a used 3GS 32GB with no SIM card a few days ago. Without a SIM card of course the phone part doesn't work, but everything else seems to be OK, I think. Took a few pictures with it, they turned out fine; I logged it onto my house's WiFi Hotspot with no problems, the GPS found exactly where I live without my telling it, etc., etc.

The version is 5.0.1, and Settings also says Modem 06.15.00. First five digits of the serial number are 88928xxxxxx, and the carrier is listed as Carrier 11.0 (I guess that's AT&T?).

My intention was to jailbreak it and unlock it, then use it as a phone with T-Mobile. Jailbreaking, I'm told lets you put apps other than the apple-approved ones from iTunes on it, correct? And unlocking lets you use it with carriers other than AT&T, right?

I don't really know its history, it was advertised with no mention of any unlocking or jailbreaking, only that "everything works". So far it seems true.

But, leafing through it, I found that Cydia is already installed, and Ultrasnow. Can these apps be gotten from iTunes on a non-jailbroken phone? Or does this mean that this phone is already jailbroken?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If Cydia is installed then it is definitely jailbroken. I know next to nothing about the unlock part but one of our resident experts will be able to shed some light for you soon. Is this your first iPhone?

3. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Yep, I'm a complete iPhone newbie. My previous phone is a Nokia 6080, doesn't even have a camera. :)

I hope this 3GS works as well as a phone, as that Nokia does. A Samsung SGH-508 didn't, kept dropping words.

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Not an expert, but just open Cydia.
    From the Cydia homepage, there will be an icon for "search".
    Click that and type in:
    ultrasn0w
    That package is comparable with your device, iOS and baseband.
    Install and you will be unlocked, able to use your device with other carrier SIM's.....

5. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Thanks, st1966.

It looks to me like ultrasn0w is already installed. Does that mean the phone is already unlocked?

6. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Yes, I believe it does. If you (or the previous owner) installed Ultrasn0w from Cydia, it means you're JB also, of course. JB means that you can install apps not approved by Apple, and unlocked means you can use any carrier.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep, it has the iPad baseband and is unlocked and ready for your T-Mobile SIM. Just make sure you disable 3G. You won't get a signal if you don't.

For future reference, you'll need to follow specific directions when an update is available since it has the iPad baseband. So don't try to update it until you've researched that. iTunes doesn't force you to update, so you can just decline it when it says one is available.