Is my phone defective?

Aug 5, 2009
Just picked up my iPhone. However, when I click Messages, Contacts, Notes, etc. the phone automatically switches from portrait to landscape view; eventhough I'm holding the phone straight up. Once in landscape view, I can't change it back to portrait view.

I've done everything short of juggling the phone in the air and the view stays in landscape, until I go to the home screen, or an app that doesn't allow landscape view; such as the app store.

Any suggestions? Do I take this issue up with AT&T or the Apple Store?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Sorry to hear you already have a problem. Sounds like it might be a defective accelerometer. Have you downloaded any apps that use the accelerometer, if so how do they react? If it's only the stock apps doing it then it might just be software related. In that case you could try a restore in iTunes before you go to get it replaced. Since you just got the phone I would say to go where you got it from and that way you should be recognized by the employees and get a brand new one instead of a refurbished one. Although it really shouldn't matter where you go.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Bring it back to the place you got it. It sounds like a hardware problem aka Apple's problem as opposed to a network issue. But if you bought it from AT&T you have to exchange it there and vice versa. If you bought it from Apple, go to Apple. Show them your problem, bring everything it came with and receipt. They should be able to exchange it and thats it. you should be on your way in less than 20 minutes.

Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. Turns out the accelerometer was defective; first time that Apple tech had seen the problem. They swaped me out for a new one, and everything is working great!

fsiracusa

Aug 7, 2009
My two day old 3GS most of the time does not change from portrait to landscape or vice versa. It did it (not change) in the ATT store but then seemed to work appropriately for a while. Is this becoming a "known issue"? Accelerometer or software? I'll take it to the store tomorrow and provide follow up.

fsiracusa

Aug 7, 2009
Turns out that it works normally when held at a 45 degree angle but not when flat or vertical. Not pointed out to me at the ATT store when I got it but when I went back in today. Is this other's experience, too? Thanks