is now a bad time to get iPhone?

xomwah

Bronze
Apr 28, 2008
i been wanting an iPhone for awhile now,
i saved up some extra money to pick up the iPhone on the 1st, but of course, googling up infomation on the iPhone i read a lot of talk of 3g iPhone being much faster,I never used or heard of 3g.. is there really much of a differences for me to wait till next year for 2?
since i won't be downloading much on the iPhone..

curious on current iPhone users opinions

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I say go for it. Yes 3g is a bit faster but I promis you will enjoy the iPhone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
3g is not widely available right now and as Bone said it is just a bit faster. You would need to go to the ATT website and see if 3g is even in your area. There is a coverage map on their site.
Having said this, we don't know what else the new phone may bring. You said something about waiting till next year for the new phone. There is a strong belief that the phone will be available in June. Of course this is all rumor, but it may not be a bad idea to wait and see if the new phone has any features you may be interested in.
Now if all you are interested in is the phone and maybe SMS then I guess now is a good time for you.

xomwah

Bronze
Apr 28, 2008
3g is not widely available right now and as Bone said it is just a bit faster. You would need to go to the ATT website and see if 3g is even in your area. There is a coverage map on their site.
Having said this, we don't know what else the new phone may bring. You said something about waiting till next year for the new phone. There is a strong belief that the phone will be available in June. Of course this is all rumor, but it may not be a bad idea to wait and see if the new phone has any features you may be interested in.
Now if all you are interested in is the phone and maybe SMS then I guess now is a good time for you.
the main features i like is the ebook reader,music,alarms/daily alerts, journal purposes and youtube everything else is awesome too,I was just a little worried about ebook reader because i need to jailbreak to use it, i hear it's much safer nowadays to jailbreak and return to new without any problems. i'll go ahead with iPhone.

thanks for the feedback:)

morrison 73

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Yes you will be pleased, but June is just weeks away. Edge is just too slow. There's a ton of 3g coverage in my area...I'm waiting.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
altho the techi in me wants the 3g and yes I probably will go out and buy it. I promis you the power of the current iPhone hasn't ben fully taped yet by farr.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
altho the techi in me wants the 3g and yes I probably will go out and buy it. I promis you the power of the current iPhone hasn't ben fully taped yet by farr.
Totally agree and I am still on the fence about the new phone. 3G will not seal the deal for me. I will have to wait and see what else is offered.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I hate to disagree with others, but 3G is much faster. You can certainly tell the difference in the speed gap, Edge verses 3G. I think more of your consideration should be placed on. Do you really want to deal with AT&T's network. AT&T in my opinion, is seriously lacking in coverage consistency. I believe that Sprint is "Head and Shoulders" above AT&T, in both coverage and data speed. Sprint's EV-DO (Rev A) is blindingly fast, and makes other carrier's data networks, pale in comparison.

The iPhone is a wonderful phone. The problem is, to enjoy it, it needs to be coupled to a "Supercharged" network. I believe a lot of iPhone owner's share my views. They don't speak out for fear of being assigned the title, "iPhone Basher". The iPhone is the "Technology Breakthrough" of the century! The network it is tied to, (umm, excuse me) sucks...Mark

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
the main features i like is the ebook reader,music,alarms/daily alerts, journal purposes and youtube everything else is awesome too,I was just a little worried about ebook reader because i need to jailbreak to use it, i hear it's much safer nowadays to jailbreak and return to new without any problems. i'll go ahead with iPhone.

thanks for the feedback:)
Ya don't be worried at all about the jailbreak you can always fix it. good luck on whatever you do!

xomwah

Bronze
Apr 28, 2008
Here is a link to AT&T's coverage area so you can pinpoint the exact availability of 3G in your area. If you're not really that in to 3G then I would say go for the current iPhone and you'll be happy.
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer//
does the blue grid have to be over my area? or near me?..i see spots of it in my state, for me to have 3g it has to cover me?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Below the map it says show 3g coverage. Click on "in select areas" and it will bring up a list of states. Click on yours and see if your city is there.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
3G is a bit faster? Dude, it's 15 times on average faster than EDGE (providing you live in a 3G region). EDGE runs around 100kbps, 3G runs on average 1500kbps. How is that a "bit" faster? Anyone who has owned an 8525 or Tilt will tell you how much faster 3G is compared to EDGE.

@xomwah: if you can hold off buying an iPhone until the 3G one's come out, then I would say wait. When 3G does hit the stores, the existing iPhones will be worth nothing and there will be a deluge of them selling on eBay for next to nothing.

Save you cash for another few more weeks.

I say go for it. Yes 3g is a bit faster but I promis you will enjoy the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

xomwah

Bronze
Apr 28, 2008
if you can hold off buying an iPhone until the 3G one's come out, then I would say wait. When 3G does hit the stores, the existing iPhones will be worth nothing and there will be a deluge of them selling on eBay for next to nothing.

Save you cash for another few more weeks.
Yah, i'll wait it out just to make sure, sucks no 3g is in my city yet. hope it comes soon...

Dave T

Jan 22, 2008
I agree, save your cash. A lot of people will be putting their iPhones on eBay when the new model comes out. You will have your choice of a great deal, or a 3G phone.

I am not saying the existing iPhone will be worth nothing, either. I use my iPhone as a phone + iPod. I don't often use the internet feature, and you might not either. If you turn off the wifi radio in the iPhone, you can go a week between charges.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I would wait another month. If you go buy the iPhone right now, you'll kick yourself next month if there's something in the new model that you'll want. I'm hoping for 3G and GPS. That's all I need to go back.

Joe