Is Safari still crashing for you in iOS 7.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Mar 10, 2014.

?

Are you experiencing Safari crashes in iOS 7.1?

1. Yes, more so than iOS 7.0.x.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, about the same as iOS 7.0.x.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No, Apple appears to have fixed the issue.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Safari crashing in iOS 7 has been so consistent that you could name it a feature. An awful, yet consistent feature of instability. But now here comes in iOS 7.1, roughly six months after the release of iOS 7. The feature set is minimal (in my opinion), but it does include a ton of bug fixes. Nothing has been nastier than the Safari crashes.

So I ask you, is Safari in iOS 7.1 more stable? Is Safari crashing on less, more or the same since installing iOS 7.1?

Please take the poll, but also weigh in here in the thread. What model iPhone, iPad and any pertinent information. I'd like to hear from you.

2. havrdaj

havrdaj New Member

I am testing, right now... 5S.

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

iPhone 5S. I no longer crash Safari when I touch a video while scrolling in a forum. Finally!

4. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

IPad 3. Safari crashed 15 minutes after updating. So no joy for me on the iPad 3. :mad:

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't know if everyone is aware of how hard Safari crashes on 7.0.6 and below. It doesn't reload the page that crashed it and they don't even show up in the history. You have to backtrack to get back to where you were.
    I've heard restoring (opposed to simply updating) fixes the problem. When you updated, did you do an OTA update, an iTunes update or a restore to 7.1? I'm still on 7.0.6, but I'm going to do a DFU restore to factory settings on 7.1 because the daily Safari crashes I've had on my 5s since September are driving me nuts and I want to do everything I can to stop them.

6. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I am not having any crashes so far. If I do, I will be doing the same thing.

7. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Not Safari, but waze is crashing all the time for me. Bummer. Hopefully they release an update soon...

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

No crashes over here. I have not had any issues with my phone since the update.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Guys, we aren't asking about third party apps here. Please delete and reinstall them if they crash and contact the developer if that doesn't fix it. The problem with Safari is it has been repeatedly crashing for many users since September and it can't be reinstalled. Restores didn't fix it and incremental firmware updates didn't address it. 7.1 is reported to fix the problem. We're trying to collect data on that one specific app for those who have been having been having problems with it. Please post your 7.1 Safari experience here if you have had problems with it on 7.0 -7.0.6. Thanks.

10. havrdaj

havrdaj New Member

No crash, almost two day fully testing.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How frequently was it crashing on you pre-7.1?

12. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Mine was OTA update. Was really hoping to avoid a full restore but I may have to bite the bullet and just do it.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I did a DFU restore to factory settings and set it all up from scratch this morning. So far, so good, but I only had a Safari crash once daily so it's way too early to say for sure. I'll probably break down and cry like a little girl if it does start to crash because I gave up my jailbreak for this...

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Sorry to hear, I'm wondering if there's a correlation between the scanner issue and frequent crashes, I've have neither but it seems like people with instability also have scanner issues which makes me suspect a hardware issue :(

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, they are definitely both software-related. I don't think there is any correlation between the two. Apple listed both as fix in 7.1.

16. havrdaj

havrdaj New Member

Twice a day, i think so early too. Hope.

17. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

We have more than a handful of people answering here in the replies but only one has answered in the poll, Why is that I wonder? I have never had the issue, probably because I never use safari, so I haven't responded in the poll either. Maybe polls need to pop up on every visit to the thread until you answer. :eek:

18. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I don't see a poll when using the app. So a pop up would be nice to have.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'll answer in the poll after enough time has passed to accurately answer the question. I've only been on iOS 7.1 for 21 hours. I had an average of one Safari crash every 24 hours on all previous versions of iOS 7. I would hope that others would do the same as well, otherwise the poll is worthless.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Use mobile Safari.