Is Siri tied to Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Afkamp, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

I've had my 4s for a while and enjoying Siri. Today my wife took the plunge and upgraded to the 4s as well. We share an Apple id, so when setting up her phone she put her contact information in Siri and everything worked great until later on when I used Siri on my phone and said "call my wife". A normal task that Siri has done hundreds of times, but this time she replied "who is your wife". Baffled I looked at the settings for Siri on my phone and her contact information was populated. Y can't u change the contacts for Siri on two different phones? If there is no work around then this sucks! I refuse to use 2 different Apple ids and pay for apps twice. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

2. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

When you synced to iTunes did you name your wife's 4s a different name from your 4s?

3. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

no. I haven't synced yet and that may be the problem. She didn't feel like waiting for her phone to sync earlier today and said she would do it later. The initial sync is the longest.

4. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I think once she syncs her phone with her own device name your problems should be solved.

5. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

Ok. Thanks

6. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

Still didn't work. It seems this is a known bug. I hope Apple fixes it with the next update.

7. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

I've got a similar problem.y wife and I share an Apple ID and when I upgraded to a 4S she got the 3GS.
    Now all our contacts are identical and each of get the others calendar reminders. What can I do to stop this?

8. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

Here's an idea....get your wives their own Apple id maybe Apple don't want u stealin apps for your wifes phone. That is basicly what your doing because it not yours it your wifes. Do yall really use all the same apps that u have to put urs on her phone? If everyone does this it will eventually drive the price of apps up, think of the people who write these apps, do you think they build these apps in 5 minutes NO it takes weeks months and then they have bug fixes once the app goes public....

9. kcschultz

kcschultz New Member

You can also have an Appleid for iTunes and the app store and a separate one for email, contacts, etc. my wife and I share the iTunes and app store id and have separate ids for email etc and don't have that issue. Siri goes off your Appleid contacts and this is what causes the issue you are describing. You can go to https://Appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/ and change your iTunes / app store id if you want to keep the current one for email etc.

10. kcschultz

kcschultz New Member

Sharing between your devices is not prohibited by Apple. Should you buy the app twice, once for your iPhone and once for your iPad?

11. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

Try this. Set up another user account on your pc. You can each have your own personalized iTunes and use the same Id. When iOS 5 first came out, me and my wife were using the same pc and we both ended up with each other's contacts. It was quite a mess. We turned off the cloud syncing and started syncing on different pcs. It's much easier to sync too. Before we had to go through the apps each time we synced to make sure we didn't get unwanted apps on our device. Only one of us has a 4s right now, so I can't comment on the Siri question yet.

12. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

but it is his wifes phone not his....i know they allow you to have all your purchases on your iPhone, ipad, and ipod but not your iPhone, your wifes iPhone and your kids iPhones. By your logic i can give my brother my Apple id and let him load all my apps fir free and why stop there my sis in law might wanna use em too.
    If your wife took a hundred out of your wallet while u slept is it stealing or by your terms hey its her wallet too. iPhones aren't fir people who try to cut corners to save .99 on a app or ten....

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's fine to share an iTunes account with immediate members of your family. Apple supports that.

14. Afkamp

Afkamp Member
    Bronze

So tell me the purpose of iCloud then? If we don't use the same Id then our calendars won't sync with each other. So your saying I should buy 2 of everything. So I should buy 2 CDs so she can listen to it in her car instead of sharing 1 and so on. When your married you become one with that person so technically what yours is hers and vice versa. Your probably not married and lonely because if you were that statement would've never come to your mind. Go through puberty and get a girlfriend and then maybe you'll understand real life situations.

15. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

Still sounds like stealing to me. I don't support pirated DVDs even though my sis in law gets them months before I can buy it at WalMart. I know the hard work people put into writing Apps and Games for our enjoyment and they deserve to get paid. How much would I be makin to support my family if I fixed every computer that comes in my shop for free or just at cost. All I'm saying is things tied to an id or email that is usually guarded for your privacy should only be used on your device.
    And to the other poster smartin off about CDs I like most smart people have a new age CD player that takes a flash drive or I can plug my phone in with the earbud jack and my CDs go on the flash and keep my discs in a box in my closet so they don't get scratched luggin them around and shovin them in a cd receptical!

16. gotzaiPhone

gotzaiPhone Zealot
    Gold

First off guys, stop feeding the iaddicted troll.

Second off, to the OP, yes Apple has set up icloud in a way that it's all or none. You either sync everything across all phones/devices or select only certain things on one device to share. Meaning, if you and your wife want to share calendars, but nothing else, you have to turn off all syncing on your wife's phone except for the calendar. The obvious down side to this is now your wife has to back up contacts, mail, ect. with the computer.

Now, the other thing you can do, which Apple allows (this is directed towards you troll), is to set up another iCloud account within your iTunes account. I believe Apple allows up to 5. Plus side is everyone syncs everything, down side is you can't share a calendar or select contacts. BUT... You can subscribe your wife's phone to a calendar of yours or vice/versa. You can't make changes, but at least you can view it.

It kinda sucks and I think Apple made it this way to promote individual Apple IDs (just my own guess), but at least you'll share the iTunes account. I'm going to post a screen shot of how to subscribe to a icloud calendar.

Attached Files:

17. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

don't call me a troll........goblin maybe....SOB yeah......jacka** cool....but TROLLS are stupid and would care less about stealing anyway! Get you mytholgy correct before throwing names lol

18. Rbakfan

Rbakfan Member
    Bronze

Well, if you ever get married, tell your wife she'll have to buy her own phone, have her own plan with her own minutes (even though it's ok to be on your plan and even share minutes). Then tell her to get her own iTunes account (even though it's ok to share yours). Then let us know how it turns out.

19. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

Appleid, Are you an app developer. Listen, we have over 4000 songs on our iTunes. Would you suggest I have to purchase each song twice for my wife to have on her phone? If so, you are not thinking realistically.

20. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

AppleIAddicted: Sounds like you're the dumb a... if you and wife are paying twice for songs and apps.