Is Sprint GSM or CDMA?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
My network provider in Egypt, actually all three of them, are GSM. There are a couple of unlocked Sprint iPhones for sale on craigslist so I was wondering.

Thank you.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Ah.. that sucks. How come the sellers say it has a sim card slot when CDMA phones don't?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My network provider in Egypt, actually all three of them, are GSM. There are a couple of unlocked Sprint iPhones for sale on craigslist so I was wondering.

Thank you.
Sprint is CDMA, but it's a world phone and capable of running on GSM networks. I think some people have gotten Spint to unlock them so they can be used with worldwide SIM cards rather than roaming on those networks and paying Sprint for the roaming charges.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ah.. that sucks. How come the sellers say it has a sim card slot when CDMA phones don't?
Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, but the 4S models have a GSM SIM card slot so they will work overseas (since most of the world uses GSM). It's roaming unless they are unlocked, though.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, but the 4S models have a GSM SIM card slot so they will work overseas (since most of the world uses GSM). It's roaming unless they are unlocked, though.
He told me there is a sim card slot in it, it is unlocked by Sprint, and will work with any GSM operated network worldwide. The price tag is $600 USD for a 32GB white iPhone 4S in mint condition with no scratches at all, or so he claims. I think it's a good deal, isn't it?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
As long as it can be activated with any SIM. I'm not sure if I can be since it was originally locked to Sprint. I don't recommend buying it until your 100% certain of that. You would need to activate it if you had to restore. The new factory unlocked models can be activated with any SIM. A new factory unlocked 32 GB 4S would cost $749 USD so you're only going to save $150 and it's used. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want anything other than a factory unlocked GSM model if I couldn't get one that was locked to my carrier.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
For the first couple of weeks after release, the iPhone 4S sold by Sprint was unlocked but then Sprint "corrected" this by pushing a lock to all Sprint iPhone 4Ss on its network: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/11/sprint-pushes-sim-lock-to-iphone-4s-customers-offers-to-undo-it/

However, Sprint customers in good standing can request an unlock so it's possible that this iPhone 4S you're considering is really unlocked. You should meet with the buyer and test it to be sure - if he doesn't allow this, stay away.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Marianne, are you certain it can be activated with a SIM card from Egypt, though? If not, he'll have a brick if he needs to restore. It's still a Sprint phone and I'm not sure if their unlocking process allows it to be activated by a non-Sprint customer.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm not a Sprint subscriber but my understanding is that Sprint's unlock will let the SIM card slot work with any GSM SIM card. If he can test the iPhone with his own SIM card, that will confirm it for sure.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Of course I'll request to test my SIM Card on it first, but I want to make sure it won't get locked again if I update it to the latest OS or restore, for instance. Are there software unlocks available for the first version of the 4S? If so, then that could be it. The guy swears he got Sprint to unlock it, though.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not a Sprint subscriber but my understanding is that Sprint's unlock will let the SIM card slot work with any GSM SIM card. If he can test the iPhone with his own SIM card, that will confirm it for sure.
Oh, it will work with his SIM card, but that doesn't prove his SIM card will activate it after restores. The phone's current Sprint owner has already activated it and any SIM will work at this point. If we can't find out if any SIM can activate it, the current owner would have to switch his number to a different phone, put a T-Mobile SIM in the Sprint phone and restore it to prove that any SIM can activate it.

My Prepaid T-Mobile SIM was able to activate my factory unlocked 4S, I'm just not certain if it could in a phone that was locked to Sprint and then unlocked by them.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Oh, it will work with his SIM card, but that doesn't prove his SIM card will activate it after restores. The phone's current Sprint owner has already activated it and any SIM will work at this point. If we can't find out if any SIM can activate it, the current owner would have to switch his number to a different phone, put a T-Mobile SIM in the Sprint phone and restore it to prove that any SIM can activate it.

My Prepaid T-Mobile SIM was able to activate my factory unlocked 4S, I'm just not certain if it could in a phone that was locked to Sprint and then unlocked by them.
My point exactly. I'm thinking of bringing my Mac and updating the iPhone's OS just to make sure it'll activate.