Is the 3G data plan required?

vtrac

Jun 27, 2008
I'm getting a 3G iPhone with the data plan, but my wife is considering an iPhone for it's ipod abilities. However, she doesn't care about the data plan, so does anyone know if it is possible to get an iPhone with voice-only?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I don't think so. I believe when you get the iPhone you will be force to get the data plan with it too. Can someone confirm this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, you cannot. You must sign an agreement, with data plan, before you leave the store.

There was a period where you could eliminate the data plan from a V1 phone. But seeing as the new one is subsidized, and the data plan is a large part of how AT&T makes their money back, I don't see it happening for the new phone.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I am not positive but I am confident that you will be able to disable the internet after a short while.

Because, it is just like every other phone, which you add the internet to get a bigger discount, but soon as you leave the store or when you get it in the mail, you can just call and have it removed. It is just like everyone other phone now, so I am sure that this will be the case.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The 3G iPhone is not like every other phone now. Check AT&T's website and you will see that the iPhone has special iPhone plans. To get the 3G iPhone, you have to sign a 2-year contract for one of it's 3G iPhone plans.You won't be able to change to any other plans later. Sure, you can add or remove minutes, but the $30 PDA internet will be required. Your best bet for her is to get a version 1 iPhone. At least you can unlock that so she can use the iPod and camera functions.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If she doesn't want the data plan then just buy her a V1 off eBay unlocked. Then stick her SIM in there and AT&T will never know she has an iPhone so they won't require any data plan. Really, a 3G version for her would be a waste, unless she is in desperate need of GPS.

By the way, the Internet on iPhone is its best feature, are you sure she doesn't want it? She might after she plays with yours :).

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It will still access the internet anytime she checks the weather icon or google maps. Without a data plan that means you'll get hit for $.01/kb. Most of my time is spent on wifi, but I still transfer at least 30MB/month. I just don't see why you would do that.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
It will still access the internet anytime she checks the weather icon or google maps. Without a data plan that means you'll get hit for $.01/kb. Most of my time is spent on wifi, but I still transfer at least 30MB/month. I just don't see why you would do that.
She'll just have to turn off data roaming and she won't get charged.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
The 3G iPhone is not like every other phone now. Check AT&T's website and you will see that the iPhone has special iPhone plans. To get the 3G iPhone, you have to sign a 2-year contract for one of it's 3G iPhone plans.You won't be able to change to any other plans later. Sure, you can add or remove minutes, but the $30 PDA internet will be required. Your best bet for her is to get a version 1 iPhone. At least you can unlock that so she can use the iPod and camera functions.
I don't think people understand that this is a regular phone now. And any phone you can take off the internet, soon after you buy it.

Worse comes to worse, just call a week later and tell them that your iPhone broke and you sent it to Apple, and you are using a different phone, ie your old one, and tell them you want the internet turned off until you get it back, and then...don't call back.