Is the 4s significantly faster than the 4 with its dual core processor?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by TH55, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I am considering switching to the 4 as people are reporting better battery life than 4s has been giving. I really don't care about Siri anywhere near as much as battery life. My only concern is that the 4 will be much slower than the 4s. Anyone used both phones? Thanks

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

It is much quicker, and you can really notice it when taking photos!

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Significant? In some areas, yes.. In other areas you won't notice a difference..

I have noticed the speed in web pages loading, the camera, and in some apps...

My .02

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you are switching to the 4, then it's a no-brainer. Drop the extra $100 for the iPhone 4S. There are plenty of reasons why it's better. Faster, Better Camera and while you might not use Siri often, it is a nice feature that will improve over time.

You can read my full iPhone 4S review on the site.

#4 chris, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with chris, it is definitely worth the extra $100 to go with the 4s. My wife has the iPhone 4 and i have the 4s and other than just the speed there are many more benefits to go with the 4s

#5 Jmbaker429, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  6. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I'm sorry I should have better explained myself lol I have the 4s I am considering downgrading because of the ridiculous battery

#6 TH55, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  7. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Apple will sort out the battery issue. It's a well-known flaw and they've been here before but they've always fixed it. 5.0.2 is on the way shortly...

8. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I have both and tested them side by side and there is so little of a difference on most things I don't think you would notice. The camera is faster to snap pics but not all that much faster to actually load the camera or switch between camera and video. Most normal apps, no difference. Some of the graphic games there is a difference. Calls, texting, email....no real difference, except the voice to text.

9. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Interesting. Kind of wondered how much room was there for improvement except for the bigger games and of course, browser loads. I mean since the 4 was already so snappy, it's hard then to rationalize the "smoothest" moniker on the 4 and "noticeably faster" attached to the 4S. Figured it was mostly people's enthusiasm versus something objective.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

10. rollinfromhell

Gold

It depends on the person I guess. I notice it just being a ton more fluid compared to my dads iPhone 4. When you open a folder, it's much more noticeable. The 4 actually feels slow and clunky when you do that, open up the settings is faster as well, the browser is just MUCH more quicker, loading is also a bit faster as well regardless of the same connection speeds. Camera much much quicker, texting lag is gone, orientation to landscape is very quick. When you use the phone and press to make a call, it snaps and zooms into the call very very quick, it's very impressive. I do see why some people who are not as analytical wouldn't notice it, but thats just because the animations are the same switching between windows and such. However, another thing. Switching apps is just much more fluid, if you like all that, then your in for a bonus. And it will probably get more snappier as time goes by with bugfixes and updates.

11. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

So is Internet loading really not terribly faster?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a lot faster. I was happy to discover that the checkerboard effect (when scrolling rapidly) that occurred on the iPhone 4 does not occur on the 4S.

13. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Cool..I'm really getting sick of this battery life tho, do you think it can be fixed by a software update?

14. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

My battery dropped with every action I performed on the phone. Literally dead in a few hours. Apple replaced it and now, it's fine. Just like my 4 was! Now, my 4S is fine, but wasn't worth my upgrade from a 4!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think so. Mine was fixed with 5.0.1. If 5.0.2 doesn't fix yours, you could always exchange it.

16. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

My wife just got the 4s. I loaded the same web pages, side by side with my 4. I hit the buttons at the same time. On the WiFi, my 4 loaded the pages faster by a couple of seconds. Is that odd?

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you clear the browser cache before testing?

18. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I had the same thought so I went to a site that have not visited on my 4. Still faster. A site that I do visit frequently, came up REALLY fast on the 4 compared to the 4s. I'll do again sometime soon to see if I can get the same results.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, be sure to clear the cache and reboot both of them first. Then load a really long page and scroll rapidly. The 4S should load faster and not have any checkerboarding during rapid scrolling.

20. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

How much better is the camera?