Is the 4S Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by itstheroadwarrior, Jan 15, 2012.

1. itstheroadwarrior

itstheroadwarrior New Member

Compared to the iPhone 4? I want to switch over from blackberry to the iPhone but I'm undecided on which model to get. I know the internals are much better on the 4s, but is that along with Siri worth the extra $100? Should I just get the iPhone 4 and wait to see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table or spend the extra $100 on the 4s?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The speed and better camera makes it well worth the extra $100. The next iPhone will probably be released next fall.

3. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

At first, I thought it was worth it. Now, I don't really think so. A lot of new information says Siri is going to all devices before long. :-( and the camera is good, but not $100. I wish I had kept my 4 and my upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

4. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I think it's definitely worth the $100 extra. :)

5. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I really wish we had a better window in regard to when the iPhone 5 will be released. I have the 4 and went last week to look at the 4s as I am eligible for an upgrade. I didn't really get a chance to play with it but since it LOOKS just like my 4 I wasn't really that excited. I ended up getting my 11 year old a 3GS. If I can sell my 4 and my son's iP0d to cover the cost of the 4s I might take the plunge at the end of the month.

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Well you can take this to the bank.
    The NEXT iPhone will not be released today or tomorrow. Probably not even this month. :)
    My money is in next fall. Late next fall. Beginning of November.

7. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

When you say next fall, do you mean Fall 2012 or Fall 2013?

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I mean next fall.
    We are in winter. Lol so yes fall 2012. :)

9. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I only asked for clarification b/c you said NEXT FALL instead of this COMING FALL(y)

10. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i had a 4s and i gave it away as a gift for xmas. the main problem i had with was bad battery life in comparison to my old 4. if your the kinda person who expects good to get great batt performance your chances are the 4 will get better batt life over the 4s.

11. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I think I would use coming if it was the next season or closer to happening. :)

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Why do people call the next iPhone the iPhone 5?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Rugaby is right. Fall 2012 is the most likely release date. Apple has been doing this for a while and they've always stuck to annual releases. It's not outside the realm of possibility that it will be released in the spring, but it wouldn't be characteristic of Apple, and there haven't been any production rumors or parts purchases to indicate it would be any sooner than late summer or fall.

Some people refer to the upcoming sixth generation iPhone as the iPhone 5 because the rumors and predictions for the 4S were that it was going to be called the iPhone 5. When people found out the 4S was going to look exactly like the 4 and not have a larger screen, they assumed the next phone, the real upgrade they were waiting for, would be called the 5. Many even thought it would be released sooner than a year after the 4S (like a month or two later).

It's unlikely that Apple would call the next iPhone the iPhone 5. It's illogical if you put any thought into it. The only reasons to ascribe a number to the phone are as follows:

1. If it corresponds with the generation (which would be 6).
    2. If it corresponds with the network (which would be 3G or 4G).
    3. If it looks like a previous phone that was named after a generation. They then add an extra letter to differentiate it from the previous phone. If the sixth phone looks like the 4 and 4S, it would be more likely that it would be called the 4X (or something like that) than the 5.

14. Lunfai

Lunfai Member
    Bronze

Are you upgrading? Im not sure about USA prices but I'd recommend getting a 2nd hand or unlocked iPhone 4, (is it possible in the US?) so you can try it out for yourself. You would get to try out iOS and see if you can replace that blackberry as you might depend on it more than you think. If its an upgrade then I would get the 4S, but I wouldn't if you were just looking for a new phone in general as you wanted to try something new, and on the plus side once the new model gets released you can spend the upgrade on a new phone depending on the experience you had with the iPhone 4 and decide on getting the newer model or another blackberry, win win. You could sell your old iPhone 4 if you don't like it also.

But you're going to love iOS, no matter what device you get. It's such a good experience in terms of a phone, and you'll just be happy with it. Good luck and hope I've helped. ^^

15. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

I know a lot of people disagree with this interpretation, but I do not see a lot of viable reasons to blow an upgrade on a 4S. First, I personally do not use Siri at all...that is not to say that it is not a value to others, but I found it novelty-ish. Second, the difference in camera while "noticeable" is not "HOLY S**T" noticeable.

The only area where I see a marked improvement is in performance/speed. The 4S is snappier in both the way applications behave and in speed of the browser; not "web speed" mind you, but browser performance. Lastly, I (and others, mostly iPhone 4 owners) notice that the 4S is louder at the external speaker.

As someone who has an annual upgrade available instead of every two years, I took the chance on the 4S knowing I'd have an upgrade available when the next phone was released. If you only have an upgrade every two years and currently have a 4, I'd say hang in there till the fall!

P.S. I do not see the drop off in battery from the 4 to the 4S as others have reported.

16. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I think this thread will get a lot of different responses. I was going to NOT upgrade as the iPhone 4S was so similar to the iPhone 4. I'm glad I did upgrade. The games especially are so much snappier with the faster processor. Another thing that doesn't get mentioned is the antenna. My iPhone 4 suffered from 'antenna-gate', unless I had a case or bumper on it. The antenna on the 4S is so much improved. I rarely get dropped calls now. Siri to me is worth the upgrade. I don't see it as a novelty but a very useful function. Being able to just speak to your iPhone to schedule meetings, set alarms, do emails, find facts, call phone numbers, etc. is a huge advantage.

I also don't see any difference in battery life between the 4S and 4. Another thing I considered was the fact I can sell the iPhone 4S for more money when the iPhone 5 is released compared to the iPhone 4.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Upgrading annually has been a no-brainer for those of us who are with AT&T. It might seem like you're burning an upgrade, but you really aren't. They offer full subsidy every 12-17 months, depending on your plan. The money you save by saving your upgrade for the next year, you end up losing through depreciation of the old model over the two-year period. AT&T has offered full subsidy on 3 of the 4 last iPhones. We all got full subsidy on the 3G, the 4 and the 4S (but we had to wait 2 weeks for the 4S - Nov 1st instead of Oct 14th). What this means is that we were able to upgrade for free every year by selling the old one on craigslist for actual value and even make a small profit in most cases. The only one we had to pay partial subsidy for was the 3GS. However, most people were able to get at least $400 for their 3G that year so they could still upgrade for free or at least close to free since the 3GS was $400 with partial subsidy.