Is the back camera sensitive to IR light?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I just tried my usual trick to see if an IR remote control was working. Since most digital cameras respond to Infrared light I used my iPhone's back camera first and it showed the remote was not emitting any IR. The front facing camera, however showed the remote as emitting IR. I even tried both the front and back cameras in a darkened room and the front camera was the only one to see IR. Any ideas?

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
I just tried my usual trick to see if an IR remote control was working. Since most digital cameras respond to Infrared light I used my iPhone's back camera first and it showed the remote was not emitting any IR. The front facing camera, however showed the remote as emitting IR. I even tried both the front and back cameras in a darkened room and the front camera was the only one to see IR. Any ideas?
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/11/iphone-4s-camera-cleans-up-with-infrared-filter/

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Thanks reas0n. The article you linked to makes sense in hindsight. I knew there was an answer but just couldn't find it on my own. everythingiCafe to the rescue again!