Is the Griffin Survivor Case any good?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by GrannySmith, Jun 4, 2012.

1. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Does anyone who has or has had this case think its good? I currently have an otterbox but i hate how the silicone peels off constantly. So im thinking of getting the survivor.

My concern with this case is that the noise cancellong mic near the headphone jack is covered. Will this affect calls a lot or will it be minor? Also, the speaker and mic are covered too does this affect the sound a lot? Any other problems with the case?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I haven't had any experience with this case, but I've heard it protects the phone very well. The Otterbox also covers the noise canceling mic. I haven't had any issues with it though. I've been using the same Otterbox case for roughly 2 years. If I were you, I'd of course wait for responses here, and also look for reviews online of people who have purchased it. :)

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Look at a lifeproof case. I switched from the bulky otter block , errr otter box and haven't thought twice :D
    Www.lifeproof.com

One big issue with the griffon is that there is also a cover over the camera, so snapping a quick photo is out of the question...until you peel back this cover & it doesn't stay out of the way of the lens.

4. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Otterboxes don't cover the noise cancelling mic. Has anyone actually had experience with calls on a griffin?

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I like it, and have been using it for a few years. But personal preference goes a long way. You got to look at the protection it creates, the look of it, and the effects that it may have if it covers certain spots. :)

#5 MoneyMaker79, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  6. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

doesn't lifeproof cover up the noise cancelling mic too?

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure if it covers up the noise canceling mic, but here is a link for the case with descriptions.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/cases/iphone-4-4s

Here is a quote I read online from a buyer of the case.

Echo issue. This is very serious and makes the speakerphone and facetime virtually unusable. There are two fixes available from what I can gather. One is blowing into the mic hole and the other one is covering the noise cancelling mic on top of the phone near the earphone socket.

8. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

And yeah i know that otterbox is pretty much the gold standard for iPhone protection. I love their cases its got everything a nice design with amazing protection. However the silicone for the iPhone 4s cases ALWAYS pops out and its annoying. Ive gotten several replacements and all of them do the same thing after time. Until they fix this problem im not going back to otterbox.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Are you referring to the spots that close into the case where the earplug is and the charger spot? Those can be very touchy, but I've never had issues of them popping off.

10. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Nobody here has a survivor or something? Its not a big problem i just wanna know if with the noise cancelling mic covered calls will echo or something idk. If thats the case ill just pop the cover open everytime i get a call.

With lifeproof i was considering getting one but it was too pricey with problems that still need to get resolved. That mic echoing was one of them and i believe another one was i heard people saying its not very shockproof or at least not as much as other cases.

11. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Im referring to pretty much everywhere on the case. Its mostly the top corners though for me out of my 3-4 replacements it always popped out around the left corner at first then as time went on other spots of silicone would pop out. It got looser and looser after time basically.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oh ok! Yeah the Otterbox can do that. I haven't had that issue though. They stay tucked in pretty well.

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

No it does not cover the mic. There is a hole for it, protected by gortex to maintain the waterproofness.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Never had the echo issues with mine :)

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I've had my lifeproof for over 7 months now and haven't had any issues such as echoing. Other have and there are easy fixes for it... Usually reinstalling the device correctly. As for shockproofness, any device in any case can hit just wrong and crack. Has happened to many with otters and a few with LifeProofs as well, but being a recently retired FD Captain on an extremely busy engine company, I have to say the lifeproof case is worth every penny & has saved my phone on numerous occasions. I know your asking about the Griffon cases, and I used Otterbox defenders for a long while until I saw how slim & sleek looking the LifeProof case is. Converted me instantly :D

16. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

If the survivor doesn't suite me i will return it and try out the lifeproof. Is there anywhere i can get one for cheap?

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Online. Amazon or eBay. But if you want to be able to see it in person, and have zero shipping/purchase issues, I would go to your local store, or Best Buy (bestbuy.com has it for $79.99).

18. GrannySmith

GrannySmith New Member

Forgot to add this buy i did find cheap cases (otterboxes for $20?) sold on amazon by this dealer called SF Planet. They got positive reviews on amazon but ive heard on resellerratings or something like that they're a fraud. Idk but they do have very good prices they might be too good to be true. Anyone know of them?

Edit: Yeah i did try amazon. Im just a little worried about buying there from merchants since the prices look too good to be true sometimes. A lifeproof is $60 i found a griffin for $30 and a commuter for $15. How do i know once they have my credit card info they wont just take it or send me a crappy case.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Never heard of them, but I do have to say to be very careful on Amazon. Read the description of the case you're buying, and make sure it's not a knockoff. I purchased textbooks on Amazon recently and had to be very careful and read what it included and what chapters were not included etc.

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Bestbuy, AT&T, RadioShack are a few of their authorized resellers. DO NOT buy one from amazon, etc... As they are not an authorized seller & they do not / will not accept warranties if purchased from a non authorized seller. Of course there is LifeProofs site directly you can Oder from as well.