Is the home button a button that you tap or push down?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Henrico

Jan 12, 2007
Just a question. Is the home button a button that you tap or push DOWN? I haven't had a proper look at it yet.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I am pretty sure it's just a touch/ tap thing, but I am not sure. I am just guessing by the way it looks and the fact that it would be cooler :D
Hmm, I always assumed it was a real button that you pushed down, even just slightly. But now I'm not so sure. Apple usually does things solid state with just a touch so that could be. However that may not be good if it's in your pocket.

May 6, 2007
United States
Hmm, I always assumed it was a real button that you pushed down, even just slightly. But now I'm not so sure. Apple usually does things solid state with just a touch so that could be. However that may not be good if it's in your pockect.
Now that I think about it again, I am guessing it will be a button where you just slightly tap it. Although Apple usually does touch buttons, as you said, I would think that you would need to press it so you do not accidentally touch it with your wrist and go home all the time. As for being in your pocket, wouldn't you put it to sleep when you are going to put it in your pocket anyways?

Just a thought.

May 6, 2007
United States
I have been wanting to know this also, I try to tell from the keynote but it's too hard to see it.
I am currently watching the keynote, partly for enjoyment and partly to figure this out. After looking, it looks like it IS just a touch button. There does not look to be enough dimension to press the button in. It's funny we are debating over a button. I guess we are all too excited at this point to care, as long as it's about the iPhone :D

Henrico

Jan 12, 2007
I am currently watching the keynote, partly for enjoyment and partly to figure this out. After looking, it looks like it IS just a touch button. There does not look to be enough dimension to press the button in. It's funny we are debating over a button. I guess we are all too excited at this point to care, as long as it's about the iPhone :D
exactly.....these are iPhone forums after all :laugh2:

May 6, 2007
United States
I think the button will depress slightly like the play/pause button on the Apple remotes.
It's certainly possible. I can see that there isn't much room for it to move around, but I can't find anything official on it. It's very possible, though, that it will be one of those buttons that barely presses, as you noted.