Is the iOS 7 design still a work in progress?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JWiPhone, Jun 12, 2013.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

This article seems to support that premise.

iOS 7 Design

It’s also clear from what we’ve seen and heard that what we’re seeing of iOS 7 right now is a ‘mid stride’ snapshot. The work on design and development is still going full tilt, and what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress’. We’re told, for instance, that some builds of iOS used onstage at the conference by presenters are already newer than the ones pushed out on Monday.

Of the various aspects of iOS 7, the design of its icons and other visual cues are the most in flux at the moment. There are still refinements and conversations going on around them. I don’t know but would expect there to be a lot of fixes for the inconsistency we’re seeing in things like gradients and design langauge on the home screen.
    Also, there seems to be a good chance that the confusing up arrow on the lock screen — which has tricked everyone I’ve seen try it into swiping up to unlock, rather than to the right — will be ‘fixed’ (removed?) before iOS ships in the (probably) fall.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah Mindi and I both posted links to the article earlier. Pretty good stuff.

3. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Ahhh...I didn't see your posts. Feel free to delete if need be. I do hope it is true. I would like to see further refinement.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Leave it. It probably needs its own thread anyway.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Wishful thinking by the hyper-masculine bloggers who can't wrap their head around a few brightly-colored icons. The theme is here to stay, or else they wouldn't have made it the centerpiece of their second-biggest yearly event and created a website showing it off. Yes, they will tweak it through the beta process of course (that's what betas are for), but overall it will look the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Anyone else notice how Apple is really pushing the white model? This new design seems to be made for the white phone and that page acosmichippo just posted, like the rest of Apple's site, seems to focus on the white model. Also, when I go into Apple stores all the huge iPhone displays on the walls and in the windows are white. They used white in the keynote too. I know a lot of people aren't fond of it, but I think it's pretty slick. The shiny aluminum sides and back look really good. And I'm not a fan of the white 4S either. The stainless steel sides are dull and the all-glass back doesn't look as good as aluminum on the iPhone 5.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I just prefer black to border the screen. If it wasn't for that, I would like the white model more.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

There is entirely too much white. Especially in the music and safari apps. It would not be hard for them to give a slider in settings to take it darker globally. Or even base it on time of day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

There's no real fullscreen mode in Safari anymore. That is not good.

10. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

The icons still look better than Touch Wizs icons that's for sure, just as they are!

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Europa I understand what you're saying. I felt that this update seemed to be geared towards the white iPhone. I thought that they should have shown the update on the Black iPhone as well. They did show it once, but only once during the Air sharing or whatever it's called. I would have like to see it more. Even on their web site, they should showcase iOS 7 on a Black iPhone as well. There is one picture of a Black iPhone with a screen from iOS 7 on it, but it involves a slide screen which dims the new icons and it's hard to get a good look at what iOS 7 would really look like on the Black iPhone 5. Almost makes me want to purchase a White iPhone ------ NOT! It is pretty, but I won't do it.