Is the iPhone (1st gen) worth getting?

csi24

Nov 22, 2007
I may not personally have an iPhone but you can go to your local Apple or AT&T store and you can play around with one. Make a list of what have concerns about and then you can play around with the iPhone and maybe you can put some of your concerns to rest. That's what I've done, and forums like these have also put a lot of my other concerns to rest

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
First of all, please search before posting, this has been overed tons of times.

Second, YES, it is absolutely worth getting. It is flat out amazing, and kicks all other phones' asses. It's greatness easily overcomes it's few shortcomings.

Like csi said, go to your local AT7T/Apple store and play around with one.

- John

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I may not personally have an iPhone but you can go to your local Apple or AT&T store and you can play around with one. Make a list of what have concerns about and then you can play around with the iPhone and maybe you can put some of your concerns to rest. That's what I've done, and forums like these have also put a lot of my other concerns to rest
Exactly. There are some "missing" features on the iPhone that have many wondering if they will ever come about (like copy/paste, MMS, texting more than 1 person at a time, push mail, flash...)
But, if you can get past those shortcomings ( and they may be Forthcoming)
then the touch screen is just funking kool! I know some people complain about the keyboard, but I enjoy typing on it. (although sometimes it CAN be a pain). Internet access for nearly all (there are some exceptions) is pretty good over edge, and Fast over Wifi. Camera is pretty good, having the ability to play hours of music and video is fantastic. There are also endless possibilities with the SDK being released in Feb., although if you hack it, there are already hundreds of apps out there.

But the real seller is to go into a store - aT&T or Apple, and play with one. Either you get bored pretty fast, or you think it will enhance your life and worth getting.

csi24

Nov 22, 2007
Exactly. There are some "missing" features on the iPhone that have many wondering if they will ever come about (like copy/paste, MMS, texting more than 1 person at a time, push mail, flash...)
But, if you can get past those shortcomings ( and they may be Forthcoming)
then the touch screen is just funking kool! I know some people complain about the keyboard, but I enjoy typing on it. (although sometimes it CAN be a pain). Internet access for nearly all (there are some exceptions) is pretty good over edge, and Fast over Wifi. Camera is pretty good, having the ability to play hours of music and video is fantastic. There are also endless possibilities with the SDK being released in Feb., although if you hack it, there are already hundreds of apps out there.

But the real seller is to go into a store - aT&T or Apple, and play with one. Either you get bored pretty fast, or you think it will enhance your life and worth getting.
Your second part is exactly why I want to get one. I played with one in my AT&T store and I was having the time of my life, playing with the iPod and actually hearing it through a speaker (even though I looked like a fool doing it:p), safari is brilliant (even though I didn't play around with it that much). But it is SO much fun, if you can get one right now than go right now and get one:laugh2:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Let me sum it up this way. I would be lost without my iPhone. The alarms, calander, contacts, music... I spend more time with it and rely on it almost as much as my wife (and she says I spend ALL my time with it)

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
Play with one, and you will buy it

Like you, I have heard a lot of complaint about what the iPhone can't do. If you go to AT&T or an Apple Store and play around with one, you will see what it does, and likely be impressed. The thing that impressed me was the phone itself. IT beats the Motorola operating systems all to hell.

Try it, you'll like it.