Is the iPhone Dead?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
There have been mutterings that the iPhone's life expentency is being accelerated at Apple with aims of End-of-Lifing it sometime in mid-08. The word is a few software projects for the phone have been ended.

This wouldn't not be unlike Apple who have killed under performing product lines before.

Again, this is all downstream rumor stuff, however, the pieces are beginning to fit.

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
There have been mutterings that the iPhone's life expentency is being accelerated at Apple with aims of End-of-Lifing it sometime in mid-08. The word is a few software projects for the phone have been ended.

This wouldn't not be unlike Apple who have killed under performing product lines before.

Again, this is all downstream rumor stuff, however, the pieces are beginning to fit.
A million phones sold in 70 some odd days does not sound like "under-performing" to me. I think when people say Apple is very upset over lack luster sales, they are being ridiculous. And the real reason for the price drop is Job's is being very aggressive with this product, and that AGAIN shows that this product is not "dying".

I'd also like to know where you got this info from, "DOWNSTREAM" rumor stuff....

Jul 15, 2007
www.submissiveophelia.com
Perhaps they will be coming out with a new iPhone model that is different than our current iPhones?

hmmm this one has me puzzled!

well, as long as i will be able to keep service with my iPhone for the next few years or so i will be a happy camper!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
IMHO, Apple dropped the price of the iPhone as the 16 gig iPod Touch was being announced. In a few weeks, we'll see a new 16 gig iPhone that will cost $499. That will give us the present 8 gig phone for $399 and the 16 gig for $499. Apple didn't release the 16 gig iPhone yet, because it would compete with the 16 gig iPod touch.

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
IMHO, Apple dropped the price of the iPhone as the 16 gig iPod Touch was being announced. In a few weeks, we'll see a new 16 gig iPhone that will cost $499. That will give us the present 8 gig phone for $399 and the 16 gig for $499. Apple didn't release the 16 gig iPhone yet, because it would compete with the 16 gig iPod touch.
Agreed! But still, I just think it's silly for a smartphone that basically sold for 90% of this 1mill sale cycle to be called under-performing by a market that had WAY WAY too high expectations is absurd. This is a huge hit for a smartphone sales.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Agreed! But still, I just think it's silly for a smartphone that basically sold for 90% of this 1mill sale cycle to be called under-performing by a market that had WAY WAY too high expectations is absurd. This is a huge hit for a smartphone sales.
Couldn't agree with you more.

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Where have these mutterings been? "The word is . . ."

Any evidence? Troll?
My sentiments...exactly!

End of lifing it around mid-'08? Yeah, that would make sense with the overseas rollout not even slated to begin until late '07-early '08.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Listen up fan boys. You can spin it anyway you want. Dropping the price by 33% after two months means SALES WERE LACKLUSTER.

This doesn't mean you don't like your iPhone and it doesn't mean the iPhone isn't a wonderful product. It means that Apple was not selling enough of them.

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
Listen up fan boys. You can spin it anyway you want. Dropping the price by 33% after two months means SALES WERE LACKLUSTER.

This doesn't mean you don't like your iPhone and it doesn't mean the iPhone isn't a wonderful product. It means that Apple was not selling enough of them.

Actually that is not entirely true, it can be one REASON. but it could also be to be more agressive with the product.

You don't sell 1mil items of any product I don't care if its duck tape and call that lackluster especially in 2 1/2 months.

It's what you call a marketting strategy. First you pay for R/D with a much margin( and Apple has always had HUGE margins with products) then you cut it down to get the average buyer in on it.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

If one million phones is lackluster, then please make me a lackluster salesperson! I'll take it.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
If one million phones is lackluster, then please make me a lackluster salesperson! I'll take it.
I don't get it....what are you trying to say?

The guy is right....the only reason the price dropped occurred this early was because sales were terrible....nothing personal

VicSkimmr

Aug 7, 2007

Lol, everybody's an expert on the interwebz. Clearly the only reason for a price drop is lackluster sales. Its the only explanation!

The guy is right....the only reason the price dropped occurred this early was because sales were terrible....nothing personal
I'm still lost. We know how many sold... 1 million in a little over 70 days. In what world is that considered lackluster?

Thats an impressive number no matter how you spin it. I would bet that there are very few other hi-tech devices that have sold so many so quickly, except maybe the Wii.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Does it mean sales were lackluster or that there were forecasts that were communicated to the market analysts that needed to be met. Look at it this way, if he says we will sell 1 million units by the end of the third quarter he better do it. The market is so unforgiving to missing any mark, even by a hair. The $ drop was announced on Wed and the mark was hit on Sunday, how bad could the sales have been to hit the mark a few days later?

I would also like to know where the "word" is coming from. I love the posts that start like this not even listing a source, I mean come on, at least find a blog to refer to or something.....

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Actually that is not entirely true, it can be one REASON. but it could also be to be more agressive with the product.

You don't sell 1mil items of any product I don't care if its duck tape and call that lackluster especially in 2 1/2 months.

It's what you call a marketting strategy. First you pay for R/D with a much margin( and Apple has always had HUGE margins with products) then you cut it down to get the average buyer in on it.

Steve Jobs apologized and gave $100 credits to the early adopters. This was not some grand scheme. It was Apple responding to the market and the sales pace. It was the right thing to do. 600 bucks for cool Ipod with a substandard phone was a rip off.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Lol, everybody's an expert on the interwebz. Clearly the only reason for a price drop is lackluster sales. Its the only explanation!

I'm still lost. We know how many sold... 1 million in a little over 70 days. In what world is that considered lackluster?

Thats an impressive number no matter how you spin it. I would bet that there are very few other hi-tech devices that have sold so many so quickly, except maybe the Wii.

You have to keep it in perspective. 1 million phones is a lot of phones yes, but if they were selling out to the level Apple expected they would not have dropped the price.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

Have you been following Apple Inc since iPhone was announced? Following the announcement on jan 9th, Apple closed at $92.57, up from the opening price of $86.45. Since then it has risen to a high of $146 on july 26th 2007. They have great sales on their computers, ipods, etc, but the price of the stock is riding on the iPhone. The P/E is 38.06!:sick::sick:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

1 million isn't enough? This is 'lackluster'? Get real.

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
Regarding sales - I don't know if 1 millions sales is good or bad, but I do have to say I know I've never seen anyone use an iPhone out in public since they came on the market. Maybe I just frequent different places than iPhone users frequent. Don't get me wrong - I am very excited about the iPhone and can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow, but I do find it odd I haven't seen anyone using one. I live in Raleigh, NC by the way so it's not a small market.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

Sales were great, they simply dropped a little, so Apple dropped some prices to boost them back up. C'mon, ps49556n, you've been on these forums for a long time, you know better.