Is the iPhone getting too complicated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rom x, Sep 19, 2014.

1. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Just wondering with the new version of ios and all the new features/gimmicks, if the iphone is getting too complicated for some users?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Can you be more specific?

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't think so. I do see a few bugs that may have some frustrated. But by iOS 8.0.4, things should be much better. Too complicated? Nah! Just new and different. Folks adjust quickly. Are Android phones too complicated for people? Not really. More complicated than the iPhone though.

4. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Well as you add more and more features, things start to get a bit more complicated. I just came from local tmo store as I was porting over my last AT&T line over to tmo. There was girl who had just upgraded her old iPhone to new iPhone and she was having a bit issue with using some of the new features. Now I don't know exactly which feature they were, cause i didn't want to seem like pest. I could see that she was having a problem, which is why i made this thread. At some point some of the simplicity is gone as apple starts adding more and more features. I for one don't have a problem with this, but i'm sure some will. If not now then in the future as iOS becomes more and more mature.

#4 rom x, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I had a lady who was camping out with us last night. She still has a basic phone after 8-9 years and was upgrading to an iPhone 6. We suggested to her to get the base model (16GB iPhone 6) and that would be all she needs. So it's not getting complicated, I believe people are starting to adapt to all the changes and new features. Apple is going to continue to innovate.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Wait until that lady realizes that with a 16GB iPhone she has very little storage left.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What does storage capacity have to do with being complicated? When she runs out of storage, she gonna be like...
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411191611.042542.jpg

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think that was bad advice. It's not going to uncomplicate things at all. If anything, it will complicate them because she won't have enough space to work with. 16 GB was fine on the iPhone 3G. Pictures were small because the camera was only 2 MP, we didn't have video recording capabilities and the OS only took 500 MB of space. It's a constant battle trying to manage that little storage on an iPhone 5s let alone a 6 that has an OS that takes even more space. iOS 8 and the stock apps are taking up 9 GB of space on my iPhone 6. I restored it to factory settings right after getting it just to be sure and it was the same thing. Only 55 of 64 GB available. I think it's pretty crappy of Apple to not make the base model 32 GB this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. supersonicbaron

Bronze

[QUOTE="Europa, post: 1067565, member: Only 55 of 64 GB available. I think it's pretty crappy of Apple to not make the base model 32 GB this year.[/QUOTE]

I always wondered why the storage reflected a significant amount lower (roughly 5-8 gigs) on all my phones(I've had 64gig iPhones since the 4S)

I didn't realize it was reflecting what's left after the OS space.

Anyways good to know, sorry to derail a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

When I upgrade to the iPhone 6 I will be getting the new 128GB offering specifically because it will make things LESS complicated for me. I'm speaking in terms of syncing music and other media to my device. With the added storage space I won't be forced to manage the content on my device as often.

As far as iOS getting more complicated, sure, Apple continues to add new features. Most people can adapt fairly easily, especially if they've been using iOS for a few years. Newcomers to iOS might have more of a learning curve but no one is forced to dive in the deep end of iOS and make use of every feature available. IMO, iOS is basic and easy to use and exploring the more complicated features is optional for those so inclined. That being said, I have yet to try out iOS 8 on my 5s. YMMV :)

11. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was bad advice. Of course, you want to have as much storage as you need for apps, photos, movies, etc. It's that we wanted to keep it simple for her because she was coming from a basic phone and moving to a smartphone. So, it was less complicated for her as she didn't have to try to sort out all the different models even if it was just three models to choose from. I'd assume she was just entering into the smartphone arena and didn't want to be too concerned about which size she should get. Speaking of the 16GB, I almost went for that myself until I realized that 16GB was not going to cut it on an iPhone 6 and iOS 8 so I took advantage of the 3x storage capacity on the 64GB.

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

So you're saying it wasn't bad advice, except that it was? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Well, sort of. I'm not saying it was bad advice for the lady who has never owned a smartphone and is getting her first one. But for me, I couldn't take the same advice and stick with 16GB. I needed to have 64GB after only having 4GB left when I installed iOS 8.

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Just adding my $0.02. What if "that lady" is also someone for whom the iCloud Drive would suit her added storage needs. She likely doesn't have a Mac either so a basic Drive account might just be what she'll need.
    YMMV

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Or if she plans on using it, gasp, mostly as a phone? :D

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If she is on a very tight budget, yes. But he didn't say that she said she was. He recommended it to make things less complicated for her, but it will actually complicate them. She'll constantly be trying to manage free space, which is a drag. The OS and stock apps take a few GB on iOS 8. Forget updating OTA since you need more than 5 GB free to do that.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If she just wanted to make calls, why was she waiting in line in the middle of the night for an iPhone? Seems like she would have just stuck with what she had or gotten a feature phone if that were the case.

18. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Trouble maker! <GRIN>

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

More storage does not equal more complicated. I don't get that part of what you say. If price were a factor, I would understand. But "complicated" makes no sense. After learning her phone, she may want 12 GB of music and a bunch of apps.

20. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

Wouldn't this only count if moving from ios7 to ios8? The "updates to ios8 should be smaller since it is no longer an all or nothing deal. And since ios8 ships on the phone it is a non-issue until next year.