Is the iPhone GSM?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Michael

Jan 10, 2007
Seems pretty obvious but wanna check, is iPhone on sim card or GSM? I am also wondering as on my tv network that the iPhone won't hit Australia till Jan 2008 and was simply wondering would it still work if i just bought it off ebay?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It is a GSM based phone, so I'm assuming it must have a SIM card. They won't sell unlocked versions, but you can bet that folks will find a way to get them unlocked. If that's the case, then yes, it is very feasible that your SIM card would work. We'll have to wait and see..

To confirm, they did mention 07' for Europe and 08' for Asia. Not sure where Australia fits into their plans. Your information sounds plausible.

-Chris

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
ok, sorry if this is a dumb question........
But, whats the difference between a lock and unluck phone?
Locked just means it's tied (aka locked) to a particular carrier. So, when you purchase an iPhone (or any phone for that matter) from Cingular, it's locked to Cingular. This means that you cannot use the phone on another carrier. GSM phones use SIM cards, so an unlocked phone allows you to have a "world phone". GSM is prevalent throughout Europe and the world. If you have an unlocked phone, all you need to do is add a SIM card. In the US, that would mean you could use the phone with a different GSM carrier such as T-Mobile. For obvious reasons, Cingular and the rest of the carriers "lock" their phones. They don't want you jumping ship.

Hope that helps.
Chris

bergesea

Jan 11, 2007
Storage

Does anyone know if the storage available on the iPhone (4 GB or 8 GB) is also going to be used for the operating system and applications or will it solely be used for media like music, videos, etc.? I guess my main concern is if we will get 4 gb or 8 gb and not 3 gb and 7 gb instead.

Michael

Jan 10, 2007
Than damn i gonna be saving up $800 so i can get it :p than i can use it everywhere in Aus in about 6 months when it gets out and everyone will be so jealous just like they are now that they have iPods and i have a Zune :p

aid85

Jan 11, 2007
perfect!

if it support some standard langauge (also unix macos or j2me) in order to install and run other applications it will be the prefect phone.
I only hope it will cost 500$ (385€) everywhere and not only in USA... ! :)

Jan 11, 2007
It runs Mac OS X - in Job's keynote, he mentioned it comes with Cocoa, so any mac os program (within reason) should run on the iPhone. Mac os is highly dependent on java, but most programs are written in objective C. I foresee a flood of apps for the iPhone. If you can program the Mac, you can definitely program for the iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It runs Mac OS X - in Job's keynote, he mentioned it comes with Cocoa, so any mac os program (within reason) should run on the iPhone. Mac os is highly dependent on java, but most programs are written in objective C. I foresee a flood of apps for the iPhone. If you can program the Mac, you can definitely program for the iPhone.
From what I've read and heard (cannot confirm the sources), the iPhone will not be open for software development. I'm assuming Apple wants to minimize support issues. Once you open up to third party software, you open up platform stability issues. The developers will definitely want to start developing on the new platform. There was a thread on Apple's discussion boards regarding this topic.

Jan 11, 2007
I would be extremely surprised if Apple didn't open it up for developers. It's a moot point to release a device with no software support. The nice thing about Mac OS development is how you interact with the structures of the OS. You can do a lot of sh**, but the way Apple has designed their APIs (especially Cocoa), you can do a lot of sh** only so many ways. This "Freedom within borders" approach ensures software stability, and it's surprisingly effective. Apple almost instills a militaristic and disciplined view when it comes to developing on their platform.

zambie

Jan 12, 2007
hi folks... well... it's finally out .. iv been saving myslf from buying the w810i for the last month in the hope that the iPhone would be coming out soon... jeez.. have to wait till june! have to say .. thts a pretty "delectable" phone! the UI is awesome...
anyways... i was wondering... is the iPhone gonna be available as a standalone (sans cingular?) ... and ahmm... is the price gonna be $500/600 AFTER taking a plan with cingular or is that the price of jst the standalone device without a plan?
i have to say.. if it the 8gb version costs $600 with the plan (especially with the pathetic cingular add ons and excruciating 2 yr plan!) ... then it's a tad toooooo much!
anyone knw the pricing scheme? it'ld really be a help... cos if the standalone is $600 ... then i'ld be willing to wait the while ! :) ...

-EquinoX-

Jan 13, 2007
If I am now currently using verizon wireless will I be able to use iPhone as my phone? My friend said that this product will be launced in 6 more months for cingular and then for the rest of the provider 6 months since that time. Is that right?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If I am now currently using verizon wireless will I be able to use iPhone as my phone? My friend said that this product will be launced in 6 more months for cingular and then for the rest of the provider 6 months since that time. Is that right?
Unfortunately for most, that's incorrect. Cingular has a multi-year exclusive. Not exactly sure about the timeframe, but definitely through 2008. Once I get the definite answer, I'll share it here and in the new iPhone FAQ being put together for the site.