Is the iPhone screen shock proof?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 6, 2007
United States
That depends on the flooring surface. If you drop it on the bathroom or kitchen tile chances are it will. No one here really knows how durable the iPhone will be yet. We'll just have to wait until the end of June to see.
You are right, there is no proof going either way at this point. However, I assume that the iPhone will be pretty durable as it is seemingly going through much testing to assure it will not be full of glitches or end up as a disappointment to consumers.

And goodguy, as a friendly reminder, you do not have to keep making these topics. I understand that you want your ten quality posts, but it would be easier for the rest of us if you made one topic titled something along the lines of, "My questions," and put all of your questions there.

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
It will mostly depend on the kind of floor you drop it on and how high and fast.

If it's like 2-3 feet off the ground and drops onto carpet i think it wouldn't do much, dropping it on a couch or anything squishy or springy wont do it (just make sure it doesn't fly off and hit a wall lol). I dropped my razr in the school locker room i don't know how many times, and that was on like cement floor. IT didn't break. But that isn't the iPhone. The iPhone just has a huge screen, nothing flipped over it to protect it. So who knows.

Maybe you can let us know when you try it out for us ;)

May 6, 2007
United States
I also think the iPhone will be very durable, at least more so than my RAZR now. I have also dropped it on cement, Joshie, except mine was from my ear on a cement sidewalk. iPods, however, can vary greatly in durability. At some times, they are very durable, and at other times they break down and you need to get another model. It all depends on how you treat it, and in some cases, which one you get.

juju2682

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Champaign,IL
I also think the iPhone will be very durable, at least more so than my RAZR now. I have also dropped it on cement, Joshie, except mine was from my ear on a cement sidewalk. iPods, however, can vary greatly in durability. At some times, they are very durable, and at other times they break down and you need to get another model. It all depends on how you treat it, and in some cases, which one you get.
For $599, I hope Apple used better quality materials than what Moto did with the RAZR.

May 6, 2007
United States
For $599, I hope Apple used better quality materials than what Moto did with the RAZR.
Yeah, that is my point. My RAZR survived those falls, even the one on the cement. And the iPhone is likely using better materials, as you said.

So basically, if the bad materials could survive it, the better ones will likely, too.

Bad materials that can survive + Better materials= Sure survival :D

Unless of course you don't take care of it, but it's an iPhone. Who would malnourish it :D

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
This is one of my greatest fears, dropping the iPhone and even putting one scratch on it. I just dropped by phone yesterday. Ack!

May 6, 2007
United States
I have made my final decision, I am for sure getting AppleCare on this thing. I am usually not a clumsy person with this stuff, and have only dropped my phone a few times. But I don't want to spend my life bummed that I dropped the iPhone in a pool or on cement and didn't have AppleCare to back it up.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I have made my final decision, I am for sure getting AppleCare on this thing. I am usually not a clumsy person with this stuff, and have only dropped my phone a few times. But I don't want to spend my life bummed that I dropped the iPhone in a pool or on cement and didn't have AppleCare to back it up.
If the AppleCare for the iPhone is like the one for MacBooks, it will not cover drop damage. AFAIK, the only way to cover yourself for drop damage or theft is by adding the iPhone to your home/renters insurance and depending on the deductible it may not be worth it.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If the AppleCare for the iPhone is like the one for MacBooks, it will not cover drop damage. AFAIK, the only way to cover yourself for drop damage or theft is by adding the iPhone to your home/renters insurance and depending on the deductible it may not be worth it.
Wow, I see this as being a really big dealio. I'm very anxious to see what AppleCare protection Apple offers for the iPhone.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Like I've posted many times already, Applecare is a no-brainer on a $600 investment.
True! But it might not be so great if it doesn't cover *everything*.

We had an oldskool iBook when they first came out. It had a problem with the powerboard where the adapter plugs into the iBook. We called to get it fixed and they actually told us, "we don't cover customer abuse." Needless to say, that didn't go over too well with us.

I'd just hate to see something similar with the iPhone where it gets cracked or broken and they don't cover it.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah, that is my point. My RAZR survived those falls, even the one on the cement. And the iPhone is likely using better materials, as you said.

So basically, if the bad materials could survive it, the better ones will likely, too.

Bad materials that can survive + Better materials= Sure survival :D

Unless of course you don't take care of it, but it's an iPhone. Who would malnourish it :D
I drop my Razr I got in december 05 at least 2 times a day:( and its still ticking. Im hoping it just lasts till "late" june.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
My razr has been dropped a few times as well, but my son dropped the SLVR one time and it left a nice little mark on one of the corners. You have to look for it to find it, but just like any other piece of sensitive electronics; you need to be careful with it if you want it to last.