Is the iPhone screen shock proof?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Has anyone seen any announced price for AppleCare coverage on the iPhone? Do we even know for sure it will be available? (Seems likely, but I don't recall seeing anything announced.)
No. We're simply assuming that Applecare will be available. Apple has not made many "official" statements at all about the iPHone.

jetskyer

May 27, 2007
Cases for iPhone

will there be cases for the iPhone to protect it just like iPod's?

ubockinme

May 27, 2007
With such a HUGE screen it's obviously gonna be delicate. It'd be REALLY cool if they used optical glass that was tempered, but we know that won't happen. I just wish I had invented the screen protectors that are everywhere. If Apple is smart & care about their customers, they'll toss in some protectors... & think.. if you drop it & kill it.. you can always see how many "jumps" you can get while skipping it across some water... Karma would dictate though that just as it starts to sink you hear it starting to ring... so much for THAT job offer.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
With such a HUGE screen it's obviously gonna be delicate. It'd be REALLY cool if they used optical glass that was tempered, but we know that won't happen. I just wish I had invented the screen protectors that are everywhere. If Apple is smart & care about their customers, they'll toss in some protectors... & think.. if you drop it & kill it.. you can always see how many "jumps" you can get while skipping it across some water... Karma would dictate though that just as it starts to sink you hear it starting to ring... so much for THAT job offer.
I wouldn't throw one away. It'd be worth money on eBay just for parts.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Even if Applecare is available don't DROP YOUR iPhone :)

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
I drop my Razr I got in december 05 at least 2 times a day:( and its still ticking. Im hoping it just lasts till "late" june.
I tend to drop my Razr on a regular basis myself. What troubles me is most of the time it usually powers off. I figure this is my Razr telling how unhappy it is with me! I have had to send one back after the first month because the screen quit working. The replacement has held up OK.

I am in the same boat as everybody else concerning the durability of the iPhone. I will buy Applecare or anything else I can to protect my investment, even if it means writing it on to my homeowners policy. I just hope it turns out to be reasonably durable.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I tend to drop my Razr on a regular basis myself. What troubles me is most of the time it usually powers off. I figure this is my Razr telling how unhappy it is with me! I have had to send one back after the first month because the screen quit working. The replacement has held up OK.

I am in the same boat as everybody else concerning the durability of the iPhone. I will buy Applecare or anything else I can to protect my investment, even if it means writing it on to my homeowners policy. I just hope it turns out to be reasonably durable.
My feelings exactly. I hope they've put some attention towards durability of the screen and body. And I am definitely going to look at homeowners insurance to help cover any iPhone damage if AppleCare does not.

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
I had a Handspring PDA (a visor, I think it was), back in 2000, and I had it in my shirt pocket. I was vacuuming my apartment, and bent over to move the vacuum cord out of the way of the vacuum head. The PDA came out of my pocket and fell about 18 inches and hit the plastic head of the vacuum, cracking the screen of the PDA, and killing it.

Handspring had next day turn-around service for $99. I called them up, and they sent a repaired PDA out with next day delivery. Then I used the same box/packing to send the damaged unit back, and slapped the prepaid shipping label on it.

Really a pretty decent experience, but I was disappointed that the screen was damaged so easily.

On the other hand, I accidentally threw my PowerBook G4 (titanium) across a cement floor, and it was fine, other than the dents and scratches you would expect. My wife also dropped my PowerBook G4 (aluminum) onto a concrete floor from about 42 inches, and other than a dime-sized dent in the SuperDrive corner, it is fine. And the SuperDrive works fine.

So, that's my not-so-quick way of saying that, in the end, there is no telling. ;)

-CJ

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I had a Handspring PDA (a visor, I think it was), back in 2000, and I had it in my shirt pocket. I was vacuuming my apartment, and bent over to move the vacuum cord out of the way of the vacuum head. The PDA came out of my pocket and fell about 18 inches and hit the plastic head of the vacuum, cracking the screen of the PDA, and killing it.

Handspring had next day turn-around service for $99. I called them up, and they sent a repaired PDA out with next day delivery. Then I used the same box/packing to send the damaged unit back, and slapped the prepaid shipping label on it.

Really a pretty decent experience, but I was disappointed that the screen was damaged so easily.

On the other hand, I accidentally threw my PowerBook G4 (titanium) across a cement floor, and it was fine, other than the dents and scratches you would expect. My wife also dropped my PowerBook G4 (aluminum) onto a concrete floor from about 42 inches, and other than a dime-sized dent in the SuperDrive corner, it is fine. And the SuperDrive works fine.

So, that's my not-so-quick way of saying that, in the end, there is no telling. ;)
You guys so totally need AppleCare. :p

ckontyko

Bronze
Mar 14, 2007
Yeah, tell me about it! Next laptop will have it. iPhones will too. It's just too easy to drop something portable. Oddly, I never dropped my 3G iPod before it was stolen, and I hadn't dropped my wife's iPod mini until just last week (on a concrete driveway- it is fine... not even a scratch).

You know, after typing all of this, I see, for the first time, as long as we avoid concrete, we're all set! :laugh2:

-CJ

May 6, 2007
United States
Yeah, I understand that the MacBook AppleCare does not cover dropping, but I am assuming that the iPhone AppleCare will, for the two reasons being that people drop phones much more often, and the iPhone will be much more delicate piece of hardware than a macbook. Just a thought, as I like to say :)

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
iPhone AppleCare may not "officially" cover dropping or abuse, but they might, depending on how good your story is. ;)

I'm sure AT&T is going to want to hock their insurance plan as well...

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
I have always found the Apple PowerBooks, my MBP, and iPods quite durable. However that said, we must as owners take responsibility for being careful and treating these as the precision devices they are.

Dropping any product does not make it "defective" thus eligible for warranty replacement or repair. It would be like crashing your car and then taking it to the dealer and expecting the work for free.

I'm sure that Apple has taken everything into consideration. I think too many people do not give the experienced, educated engineers enough credit for the good work they do.

Bullet proof? No. Idiot proof? No. Strong and Durable? Yes.

Remember it's not a basketball........;)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have always found the Apple PowerBooks, my MBP, and iPods quite durable. However that said, we must as owners take responsibility for being careful and treating these as the precision devices they are.

Dropping any product does not make it "defective" thus eligible for warranty replacement or repair. It would be like crashing your car and then taking it to the dealer and expecting the work for free.

I'm sure that Apple has taken everything into consideration. I think too many people do not give the experienced, educated engineers enough credit for the good work they do.

How true! IF you drop it enough, it'll break.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

I pay insurance on my car and everything gets fixed for "free" when I crash it because I pay for it each month. I would purchase the same insurance for my iPhone. :laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah, but insurance for you car runs close to a grand a year. You can probably get insurance for it, if you don't mind paying enough for it. Just put it on your homeowners or renters plan. They'll put a rider on anything. It's just a matter of you paying a little more each month.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Yeah, but insurance for you car runs close to a grand a year. You can probably get insurance for it, if you don't mind paying enough for it. Just put it on your homeowners or renters plan. They'll put a rider on anything. It's just a matter of you paying a little more each month.
Exactly. That's along the lines I was referring to. If AppleCare doesn't cover it and Apple doesn't offer it, then go with something like homeowners, cc, or some other extended warranty. $1K/yr for a $30K vehicle equates to $20/yr for the iPhone. I'd pay more than that for full coverage.