Is the iPhone SIM card able to work in other devices?

bmargolis

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Can I move my iPhone 3G SIM card into a "beater" phone when I don't want to risk my iPhone getting damaged?

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
Can I move my iPhone 3G SIM card into a "beater" phone when I don't want to risk my iPhone getting damaged?
I do that all the time when I go to the beach or ride the motorcycle. I use the SIM card in a "beater" RAZR phone with no problems.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I do that all the time when I go to the beach or ride the motorcycle. I use the SIM card in a "beater" RAZR phone with no problems.
hmm thats a good idea, i never really thought of doing that lol

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Deke, do i have to activate my v1 through iTunes? Or will it already be activated once i pop the sim in?

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
Deke, do i have to activate my v1 through iTunes? Or will it already be activated once i pop the sim in?
It should activate with your current info once you put the card in. I am actually going through this right now, but not with a V1 iPhone. I am exchanging my 8GB 3G for a 16GB 3g in an hour or so and I got a Treo 750 from a friend at work to use until AT&T can get me a new phone through DF (even though the Apple store across the street has plenty in stock!) I just put my SIM from my 3G in the Treo and it works just fine. I would doubt the V1 will work any differently, but it shouldn't hurt anything to try it out.

Hope this helps!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
yes,
mine is currently in an AT&T sierra wireless laptop aircard...... working well.
Do you have a data plan for the card itself? Before I bought my 881 USB 3G modem from them, I was going to look on eBay for the 881 and switch the sim into the modem from my iPhone when on the road and needed an internet connection.

I only worried about them catching on from the amount of data that would have been downloaded in bursts and didn't want to deal with any negatives from them.

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
yes,
mine is currently in an AT&T sierra wireless laptop aircard...... working well.

hmmm...

that's interesting.

so instead of getting separate account strictly for laptop card, just take out of the iPhone and insert...

kinda solves my issue with the iPhone not being able to tether.

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I don't have a laptop aircard data plan. I know that if ATT catches on to me using my sim in another device, they may pop me with some fees.

I have heard of quite a few people doing what I'm doing without getting caught.
I believe that if you keep the data usage reasonable, it shouldn't be a problem. However keeping data usage down may be difficult. I was on FOX.com last night watching a full episode of House in HD. The 3g network was FAST!

If anyone wants to try this, let me know, I will try to dig up the connection parameters from my aircard. It took me several hours of research to find the correct connection settings.

Donald

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
hmmm...

that's interesting.

so instead of getting separate account strictly for laptop card, just take out of the iPhone and insert...

kinda solves my issue with the iPhone not being able to tether.
There was an App that let you tether your phone in the App Store, but Apple has pulled it twice. Don't know if it will return.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
swapping the sim is so good for going to bars. Just swap the sim get tanked and don't worry about dropping or breaking anything of value. Did it all last year in college. Never got a scratch on my iPhone.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The thing with swapping the iPhone 3G chip into a modem is that the imei number will change when you connect. I think AT&T could readily see that you are using a modem and not your phone. That's the only thing that held me back. Instead I pay the $60 a month for " unlimited " laptopconnect.