Is the iPhone supposed to sync song play count with iTunes?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
I just noticed my play count isn't going up when I sync my iPhone with iTunes. I just tested this by playing a song with a play count of zero on my iPhone, then syncing again. Play count didn't go up. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

I'm using the latest version of iTunes and FW 1.1.1.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
That is not normal.
All songs played on my iPhone update the playcount in iTunes.

Is the 'Last Played' field blank also on the songs that failed to update?

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
That is not normal.
All songs played on my iPhone update the playcount in iTunes.

Is the 'Last Played' field blank also on the songs that failed to update?
Yes, that field is blank as well :(

Also worth noting is iTunes updates the same six (or so) songs every time I sync my iPhone, yet I'm making no changes to them.

EDIT: Ok this is weird. I tested another track that had a play count of 1 and it changed to 2. Last date played also changed. I also rated a track that was unrated and it updated in iTunes. Gonna try another track with 0 as a play count again.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
Do you mean that the same songs are copied over to the iPhone each sync, or that they just remain on the iPhone?

Static playlists selected for sync'ing will result in the same files on the iPhone each time you sync. Smart playlists can be coded specifically to exclude or exclude depending on date last played, counts, ratings etc - these are the only means by which you can get a good dynamic selection going.

Maybe I am not understanding the issue correctly but I suggest you try playing with smart playlists (but bear in mind that iPhone interpretation of the selected by criteria is infamously flakey).

May 19, 2009
As far as I can tell two things are happening. If you play a song and sync your iPhone to iTunes, the play count and ratings updated on your computer. But, if you use an ap before you sync with your computer, the play count and rating is lost. So if you care about playcounts or ratings, the trick is to use your phone either as an iPod, or as an apPod because this has been going on for over a year and it doesn't look like Apple cares enough to fix the bug.