Is the Mini Locked or Unlocked?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I posted this question on another thread but due to the subject that thread might have limited viewers and won't show up on the app forums so here I ask again on the open forum:

I've decided to go with the iPad Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. I called the Apple store and the "genius" said it wasn't locked but that he didn't know if I could use it on T-Mobile. I guess big forces are still in play when it comes to talking about T-Mobile at the Apple store.

Has anyone actually used the Mini with T-Mobile?

Thanks.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I posted this question on another thread but due to the subject that thread might have limited viewers and won't show up on the app forums so here I ask again on the open forum:

I've decided to go with the iPad Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. I called the Apple store and the "genius" said it wasn't locked but that he didn't know if I could use it on T-Mobile. I guess big forces are still in play when it comes to talking about T-Mobile at the Apple store.

Has anyone actually used the Mini with T-Mobile?

Thanks.
iPads are not locked so you should be fine using it on T-Mobile.. You won't get 4G speeds though and depending on your area you could very well be stuck with edge speeds..

Edit to add: Here is a video I found showing a VZW IPad mini doing a speed test on the T-Mobile network.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bFGwKTlNlM0&desktop_uri=/watch?v=bFGwKTlNlM0

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I saw that video a little earlier and it cleared up some things. Thanks ! I've kept researching and found it might be better to go with the Verizon Mini because I'm not going to have AT&T LTE here in my area any time soon (They still have Edge here!) so I might as well get 3G with T-Mobile which has a good signal here.