Is the Mini Locked or Unlocked?

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I posted this question on another thread but due to the subject that thread might have limited viewers and won't show up on the app forums so here I ask again on the open forum:

I've decided to go with the iPad Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. I called the Apple store and the "genius" said it wasn't locked but that he didn't know if I could use it on T-Mobile. I guess big forces are still in play when it comes to talking about T-Mobile at the Apple store.

Has anyone actually used the Mini with T-Mobile?

Thanks.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I posted this question on another thread but due to the subject that thread might have limited viewers and won't show up on the app forums so here I ask again on the open forum:

I've decided to go with the iPad Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. I called the Apple store and the "genius" said it wasn't locked but that he didn't know if I could use it on T-Mobile. I guess big forces are still in play when it comes to talking about T-Mobile at the Apple store.

Has anyone actually used the Mini with T-Mobile?

Thanks.
iPads are not locked so you should be fine using it on T-Mobile.. You won't get 4G speeds though and depending on your area you could very well be stuck with edge speeds..

Edit to add: Here is a video I found showing a VZW IPad mini doing a speed test on the T-Mobile network.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bFGwKTlNlM0&desktop_uri=/watch?v=bFGwKTlNlM0

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I saw that video a little earlier and it cleared up some things. Thanks ! I've kept researching and found it might be better to go with the Verizon Mini because I'm not going to have AT&T LTE here in my area any time soon (They still have Edge here!) so I might as well get 3G with T-Mobile which has a good signal here.