Is the Mini Locked or Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AeroCare, Dec 4, 2012.

1. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I posted this question on another thread but due to the subject that thread might have limited viewers and won't show up on the app forums so here I ask again on the open forum:

I've decided to go with the iPad Mini but now have to decide between 32GB wifi only or 32GB with Cellular. I called the Apple store and the "genius" said it wasn't locked but that he didn't know if I could use it on T-Mobile. I guess big forces are still in play when it comes to talking about T-Mobile at the Apple store.

Has anyone actually used the Mini with T-Mobile?

Thanks.

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

iPads are not locked so you should be fine using it on T-Mobile.. You won't get 4G speeds though and depending on your area you could very well be stuck with edge speeds..

Edit to add: Here is a video I found showing a VZW IPad mini doing a speed test on the T-Mobile network.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bFGwKTlNlM0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbFGwKTlNlM0

3. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I saw that video a little earlier and it cleared up some things. Thanks ! I've kept researching and found it might be better to go with the Verizon Mini because I'm not going to have AT&T LTE here in my area any time soon (They still have Edge here!) so I might as well get 3G with T-Mobile which has a good signal here.