Is the new dock connector giving anyone else pause?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Santa, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I read the story on the front page of this wonderful web site and it reminded me how irritated I am with Apple and their need to stay with a proprietary connection. I"m going to end up paying hundreds of dollars for the new phone. I'm then going to have to pay at least $50 just to maintain my current iPhone connectivity:
    • Connector at my desk
    • Connector at bedside table
    • Connectors in each car
    • 2 travel cords
    • I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of others.
    If they'd:
    • Left the cord alone: no cost.
    • Used micro-usb: minimal cost (I already have some, and extras would be cheap)
    • Exposed the connector to vendors a few months before release so there are low cost options: probably only $20-$30.
    But Apple's total lack of concern about their customers, and instead their desire for additional revenue, and uber secrecy (really, what would the consequences have been if the world had known the details of the new connector 2 months ago?), and I'm stuck with a big bill just for cables.

This does not make me happy

#1 Santa, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  2. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

If you get another phone won't you be doing the same? I'm sure there will be adapters out before you know it.

3. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Not that I'm going to get a different phone, but if I did it would use a micro-USB: a commodity connector

4. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Yes it is, but going to wait see the phone, check it out and wait to see what my accessories will cost. But not happy.

5. Timhea

Timhea Member
    Bronze

I think they should have changed the connector design a long time ago.
    Better late than never.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

My gut tells me you shouldn't buy the phone. There ya go. Questioned solved. Next

7. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I will really like how the connector is rumored to be mag-safe like with magnets. However, like the OP, I don't like having to spend $ on new cables or adapters. My gut is telling me that adapters and cables will wind up much cheaper online VERY shortly after its announcement and launch. Heck, I bet we'll see third party cases for sale online the day of the announcement.

8. Disneymom2003

Disneymom2003 Member
    Bronze

It would be nice if Apple included adapters with the new phones. What are the chances. Haha

9. Markybod

Markybod New Member

My thoughts on the matter are yeah it's going be a change! Generally us humans don't like change do we will gripe and moan at first but d'ye know what 1 year down the line I bet we are all happy as party with our new iPhones and our old phones will be with very happy people because our new phones will have no use for our docks/plugs/cradles etc!
    A change is gonna come! Embrace it folks!

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Nope.
    I'm actually looking forward to losing the flimsy 30 pin. Always thought it was the weakest part of the iPhone design....

11. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

a charger is a charger to me, i go through them like sweeties in all honestly, working with computers me and mates share our chargers all the time and have to buy them as they are in constant use. will buy an adapter for if need but, usually i have mines on me anyway.

12. SJU87

SJU87 Member
    Bronze

I wish they had gone this route initially. I don't have too many accessories that use the 30-pin connector (a plethora of chargers, car chargers, and SD card reader) but still over $100 invested. Hopefully, I will be able to sell some on eBay.

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am all for wireless charging
    I am going to be disappointed if it' just a redesigned cable !

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Hear hear! I'll bet Apple was hesitant to put such a fragile connection on a cell phone way back with the first iPhone, but it was already established with their iPod line. Moving on to better technology always includes a transitional period. But if ya wanna keep up, ya gotta get on board. It's been a long time coming.

I don't think it's rumored to be Magsafe. I don't think that would be a good idea for a cell phone anyway.

Regarding proprietary vs standards, well perhaps micro USB doesn't have enough pins (4) to carry out Apple's plans for the port. I'm already interested to see how they handle going from 30 to 9.

15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Wireless charging is slow and requires a lot of extra hardware. I don't want a thick phone just for this feature when it can be added easily with a case.

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Good observation, your probably spot on!
    Really hoping it is at least non directional, able to insert irrregardless of front/back orientation.

17. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I think that feature can be deduced pretty reliably from the pictures we've seen so far, should they prove to be real.

18. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Have you seen what wireless charging can do? I think you need to research that a bid.
    The new Razr is going to have it for example
    or some of the Nokia new models as well

This technologly is going to change our lives not just talking phones

19. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I agree. I'm not against the fact that it's changing. Just that it's proprietary. And if psylichon's right and there are true technical issues that prevent the use of micro-usb, then preparing the cable/adapter eco system pre-release would have been a nice touch.