Is the "Palm Pre" going to be the one true iPhone killer?

Mar 2, 2009
hi, i have an iPhone 3g 16gb on v.2.2.1
can you recommend a site for me to jail break it from ?
Thanks a lot
Michael

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
it does look slick indeed but the Sprint exclusivity kills any chance of me owning it.

Nothing against sprint, i liked Sprint when I was with them, but I'm not going back to CDMA.

The only thing that is going to kill the iPhone is the iPhone itself. if they don't continue to add features to the phone and listen to what their customers want in the iPhone I can see it going the way of the Razr. Really, especially with the Pre and N97 coming out, there is nothing cutting edge about the iPhone. There are still basic functions it cant do that every other phone can do (yes I know this horse has been beaten dead). The only thing that is keeping me with an iPhone now is the app store. There just is nothing out there to match it. If Palm, BlackBerry, or Nokia come out with something to rival the app store I think it will force Apple to bring some innovative features to the next iPhone, otherwise I think they will be passed up by the newer smartphones like the Pre. I'm excited about the potential for the N97 from Nokia and the Ovi store.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Very good points aggie, i forgot about the app store, the pre will need their version of that to compete with the iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
You can get your fill of Palm Pre coverage at ET and of course our Palm Pre forums are starting to pick up. Hoping this week will bring the official launch of Everything Pre.:p

Sorry for the promotion. I've found lots of members don't know my other sites exist, which means I need to do a better job of cross promotion.:p

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
By the time the Pre is released, we'll probably be talking about the second generation iPhone. I know, I know... the 3G is the second gen... but I'm expecting major changes with the new iPhone. IMHO, the iPhone 3G was a minor upgrade.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
By the time the Pre is released, we'll probably be talking about the second generation iPhone. I know, I know... the 3G is the second gen... but I'm expecting major changes with the new iPhone. IMHO, the iPhone 3G was a minor upgrade.
I like to call the 3g the 1st revision to the 1st gen.

Hopefully we will see some new ground breaking things with the true second gen iPhone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
You can get your fill of Palm Pre coverage at ET and of course our Palm Pre forums are starting to pick up. Hoping this week will bring the official launch of Everything Pre.:p

Sorry for the promotion. I've found lots of members don't know my other sites exist, which means I need to do a better job of cross promotion.:p
you run this joint, no need to apologize for the shameless plug!

Good idea, I didn't know your other sites existed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The stage is set for June. Jobs triumphant return to deliver a groundbreaking iPhone to do battle with the upstart Pre. We all get our camping gear again and still no copy & paste.:p

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Interesting, 3G and GPS are minor upgrades...well maybe i'll give you that considering many of the top smartphones had those for a while before Apples iPhone came into the picture.
Apple has got to know these phones are breathing down their neck and hopefully will outdo themselves with the next version.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The stage is set for June. Jobs triumphant return to deliver a groundbreaking iPhone to do battle with the upstart Pre. We all get our camping gear again and still no copy & paste.:p
lol please don't mention copy/paste! oh wait, my Bold can do this, I'm good :D

that would be just like Jobs to unveil the new iPhone at the time of the Pre launch and steal the stage and perhaps send the Pre to irrelevance as everyone will be talking about the new and improved iPhone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Interesting, 3G and GPS are minor upgrades...well maybe i'll give you that considering many of the top smartphones had those for a while before Apples iPhone came into the picture.
Apple has got to know these phones are breathing down their neck and hopefully will outdo themselves with the next version.
3G should have been in Rev.1. GPS still to this day lacks a good reputable Nav program. Why?

I do have to say that the Apps have really shown me other ways the GPS can be amazing. Other smartphones have GPS, but lack the true app integration of the iPhone. I love apps like Yelp.

I think we'll look at the next iPhone as a major departure from iPhone and iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G feature add was more evolutionary. I think the market is primed for another revolutionary device from Apple.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
3G should have been in Rev.1. GPS still to this day lacks a good reputable Nav program. Why?

I do have to say that the Apps have really shown me other ways the GPS can be amazing. Other smartphones have GPS, but lack the true app integration of the iPhone. I love apps like Yelp.

I think we'll look at the next iPhone as a major departure from iPhone and iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G feature add was more evolutionary. I think the market is primed for another revolutionary device from Apple.
yeah i'm kinda peeved about the lack of a navigation app. such wasted potential. However, with the iPhone not being able to multi task I'm not sure how convenient a navigation app would be unless it was able to run in the background. I'll hang onto my TomTom a little longer I guess.

+1 for yelp. I absolutely love that app.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
If you haven't tried the app "G-Map" Chris, it's definitely worth a look for navigation, has everything my stand alone gps has minus the voice prompts. Hopefully in a future update they will add a tone to make up for the lack of voice.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I like to call the 3g the 1st revision to the 1st gen.

Hopefully we will see some new ground breaking things with the true second gen iPhone.
oh god, thank you! i thought i was the only one that believed that.

and judging by looks alone, theres nothing about the pre hardware that interests me, but the webOS, on the other hand, is something that i wouldn't mind trying out.

either way, theres no way im going to get it if its on sprint, im a firm disbeliever in CDMA technology:(

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
The skies open up and descends the iPhone 2. The greatness causes millions to go blind. iPhone 2 is the first Touch Screen phone with brail text messages.

Jobs is victorious and becomes ruler of the world