Is The Technology In Our Hand Pulling Us Away From The Real World/Reality?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Greetings Forum Members,
I read an article yesterday in USA Today concerning our web usage mobile and stationary. I wanted to ask the forum more mobile based web usage questions.

1). Are you addicted to mobile technology?

2). Do you find the iPhone or whatever mobile device you own constantly in your hand?

3). Is your laptop or mobile device your best friend?

4). Do you find yourself half doing or not doing at all your daily requirements to allow time for use of your technology?

5).Are you constantly checking EIC (and or other forums), Twitter, FaceBook, The Stock Market, Email, Various IM services, The News, Sports, Weather and etc.?

6). Do people close to you complain that you are "To Connected"?

7).Do you spend more time in the "Cyber World" than you do the "Real World"?

8). Do you fully understand the power of all the information you have in your hand?

9). Does all the data and information you access daily change your mood be it in a good way or bad way?

10). Do you ever feel you are "In To Deep"?

11). Lastly, how does all the information, data and power in your hand control you or does it control you?

Please feel free to post your answers, comments or opinions on any or all of these questions. I will be back shortly to read your posts but first I have to check the stock market, update Twitter, send a few emails, respond to Yahoo Messenger, read a text message, upload a photo to Flickr, update FaceBook, check my calendar, write a blog, post to my website, read the headlines and see what the weather is going to be the rest of the week, I will then come back to EIC to find out what's going on with all of you wonderful people. LOL, Mark:eek:k:eek:k

BTW: I may or may not get some businesss/important things taken care of today. :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I can't say I can relate to all of those... some perhaps. I do find that if someone I meet doesn't have an iPhone, I have a lot less to discuss with them. :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yes to all 11. I do try and break away during the day at least for an hour or so at the gym. That's the extent of it though. For the most part, I don't bring my phones into the gym, unless it's an urgent situation.

Walking through the mall the other day, I noticed people are all over their phones and I'm just as guilty. I'm definitely over-connected. Was enjoying a concert the other night, but couldn't help but constantly check email, update Twitter/Facebook and shoot some photos/video.

At some point, I'm going to have to detox. Was hoping my upcoming vacation would be a good time, but need to fill positions in order for that to happen and that doesn't appear likely by the end of August.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
1). Are you addicted to mobile technology?
Yes!
2). Do you find the iPhone or whatever mobile device you own constantly in your hand?
You bet!
3). Is your laptop or mobile device your best friend?
Not by a long shot.
4). Do you find yourself half doing or not doing at all your daily requirements to allow time for use of your technology usage?
My career is in the usage and creation of technology, so no.
5).Are you constantly checking EIC (and or other forums), Twitter, FaceBook, The Stock Market, Email, Various IM services, The News, Sports, Weather and etc.?
Pretty much.
6). Do people close to you complain that you are "To Connected"?
No, but they may say I'm "Too Connected". :sneaky:
7).Do you spend more time in the "Cyber World" than you do the "Real World"?
There is no "real world", only a matrix. LOL! No, I'm a down-to-earth real-world person.
8). Do you fully understand the power of all the information you have in your hand?
More than most folks.
9). Does all the data and information you access daily change your mood be it in a good way or bad way?
The day my device dictates my mood or demeanor is the day I throw it in the ocean.
10). Do you ever feel you are "In To Deep"?
Only when my SCUBA tank is down to 5 psi and I'm still 120 feet down with full decompression ahead of me. Only then do I feel I am "In Too Deep".
11). Lastly, how does all the information, data and power in your hand control you or does it control you?
I am the master, the overlord, the seigneur of all my devices. :028:sarge

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
One correction, my phone is not my best friend.;)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I try to keep my iPhone in my pocket when out with people. I do consider it pretty rude to need to be connected when you're, um, connected already :) And if it's a beautiful day, I try to stop taking pictures and videos of it and just enjoy it.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
OP Information Request Overload...

Retry? Abort? Cancel?

/Retry ... Not Enough Memory.

/Save ... No Such Command.

/Abort ... Are You Sure? This Will Cause A System Shut Down.
Yes [Y] No [N]

/Cancel ... Sucker! Now Answer The Questions. KISS (Keep It Simple, St**id).

Yes To All (Recommended) [Y] No To All (Liar Liar Pants On Fire) [N]

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
OP Information Request Overload...

Retry? Abort? Cancel?

/Retry ... Not Enough Memory.

/Save ... No Such Command.

/Abort ... Are You Sure? This Will Cause A System Shut Down.
Yes [Y] No [N]

/Cancel ... Sucker! Now Answer The Questions. KISS (Keep It Simple, St**id).

Yes To All (Recommended) [Y] No To All (Liar Liar Pants On Fire) [N]
Do you think I should have made it multiple choice? The responses that were given are good ones. Mark

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Do you think I should have made it multiple choice? The responses that were given are good ones. Mark
Your questions, are as usual, interesting and thought-provoking. I agree the responses are good ones too. My own "computer-generated" response is just an attempt at a joke, really. Multiple-choice questions would be great for people with short attention span like me ;-)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Every since the V1 and the discovery of EIC, I am pretty much guilty of all the above. Throw in the Social section of EIC and Twitter, I have to admit that I spend way too much time on the phone and laptop. I even have guilt feelings sometimes that I don't spend more time in the EIC chat room. My life has definitely changed since the iPhone. Sad but true.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Every since the V1 and the discovery of EIC, I am pretty much guilty of all the above. Throw in the Social section of EIC and Twitter, I have to admit that I spend way too much time on the phone and laptop. I even have guilt feelings sometimes that I don't spend more time in the EIC chat room. My life has definitely changed since the iPhone. Sad but true.
I feel your pain. Maybe we need to get a group 12 step program going. I would certainly be one of the first to stand and say. Hi my name is Mark and I'm addicted. :D Mark

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Dude? You're like ... never... in the chatroom. :dft008:surprised
I know and I do feel bad because when I was coming in, I have a good time "talking" with everyone. One problem(excuse?) is you guys are night owls and I have to be up early every morning. So about the time the room gets cranking, it is time for me to hit the hay. But I am going to try hard to pop in more often. See, I am back sliding already by adding more to the plate. :eek:k:eek:k

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There are some daytime regulars there now... not just me holding down the fort! :)

I've been busy as hell lately, but on my days off I'm camping in there nearly all day. Definitely stop by next time you feel like shunning reality.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
What if you met the person you're currently dating on the iPhone? Does that put you in the "too connected" category? :005:snicker

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have always been into technology, especially computers. I guess this iPhone was the next logical progression for me. I often refer to my iPhone 3GS as my lover, girlfriend, significant other. It is now permanently attached to my hip. Call me obsessed, call me crazy, just don't call me late for dinner.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Technology is always burdened with this negative perception. Before the Internet, a person was considered scholarly for reading the newspaper each morning and watching the tv news in the evening. Some "reAlly eccentric" people subscribed to magazines (gasp) that provided them with more direct and specific information related to their interests. Now people have turned to computers in place of newspapers, television and magazines. Instead of dedicating an hour to the evening news, we catch 20 second blurbs on Twitter, email and elsewhere. You might argue that we're more in tune with the real world, as we no longer have to drop out to tune in.