Is there a data shredder for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duck1098, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

I want to sell my old phone but don't want anyone recovering my old deleted data. Is there an app for that?

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Just restore in iTunes

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

You can also open the Settings app on the device and go to General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. I've never used this feature so I don't know if it's faster than doing a restore.

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to add to this post. Be sure not to use this method on a jailbroken device. It will get stuck at the boot logo and a full restore in iTunes will then be required. This method is faster than a restore and perfectly fine for stock devices.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

7. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

The easiest and quickest way and no computer needed, is to go into settings/general/reset/erase all content and settings.

Or if you want to have a little fun use find my iPhone and remotely erase it.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I think the FBI may disagree with that. I think I'll that does is wipe of the encryption.

Sent Using iCafe App

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you misunderstood the context of my reply to her. I meant that the app she posted isn't going to do anything a restore wouldn't do.

I realize the FBI could probably retrieve the data after a restore, but I'm not going to fuel any paranoia here. I don't mention that when people ask how to wipe their phones because most people don't have top secret/classified information on their phones that the FBI or CIA wants. It's not something the average person needs to worry about when they sell their phone on Craigslist. And if you are concerned about that, you're better off just destroying the device. It won't be worth the $300 you'll get from the undercover agent who's waiting for your Craigslist ad. ;)

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

11. evangary

evangary New Member

After a little digging I discovered that, under Windows, iTunes stores iPhone backups in
    Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

under Mac it's apparently
    /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup