Is there a free unlock for the iPhone 4S (5.0.1)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by TarekElsakka, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hey there

We recently got a replacement for the iPhone 4S which had Wi-Fi problems. The replacement is locked to the network provider, and I was wondering if it can be unlocked. It is running firmware 5.0.1 and on baseband 1.0.13.

Thanks guys!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you are eligible for unlocking, the carrier will do it for you. If you are not eligible, you can use an IMEI unlock as long as the phone was purchased before late January 2013 (US law). I'm not sure what the law is in your country, but I'm almost certain that the origial date of purchase is what's relevant and not the replacement phone date. iPhones that are locked to AT&T have plenty of cheap (about $5) IMEI unlocks available on eBay. Some of the other carriers don't have any or they are much more expensive. You have to know which carrier it's locked to before purchasing an unlock. IMEI unlocks permanently unlock the phone and are equivalent to factory unlocks. You can update the firmware without losing the unlock and any SIM will activate it, so hacktivation is not necessary.

3. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Thanks for your reply. I have read about the booming in IMEI unlocks for iPhones lately, and I'd be very interested in that. Unfortunately, though, my device is not locked to AT&T, however it is locked to Mobinil (Orange Egypt). The original purchase date was about two years ago, right after the 4S actually came out, so if there's an eligibility issue I am certain that I am eligible.

Would you happen to know if there's a way I can find out? Are there certain websites for that? I remember I had an old HTC device before and I used a website in which you enter the IMEI, choose the carrier, and such, and they reply to you with the unlock code in 24 hours. I remember I also did that for some of my BlackBerry devices and all of them were fairly cheap.

I performed a Google search and I came up with these:

http://www.iPhoneimeiunlock.com/iPhone_Unlock.html

http://www.unlockaniPhone.org/IMEIunlock.html

Any previous experience with either one?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Find out what, if it's eligilble? So Orange Egypt won't unlock it then? I bought both of my unlocks on eBay. I'd go there and search for Orange Egypt iPhone 4S unlock.

5. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Yeah I went to the Bay but I couldn't find any unlocks specifically for Mobinil Egypt, I did find some that claim to be 'worldwide' but I wouldn't trust them. I contacted a couple of websites and hopefully I'll receive some good news soon!

I might give Mobinil a call but I don't think they actually unlock any device for anyone, regardless of eligibility. I remember that because before my Dad traveled last December, he asked them if he could use it over there and they're like no you cannot because it is locked and there's no other way about it. Network providers here could careless about the customer, however all they care about is cash and trying to keep you from switching providers by any means necessary.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, give them a call. Wish I could help more, but I don't think the worldwide unlock will work. It's important that it's for the carrier the phone is locked to. On the other hand, you don't have too much to lose by trying it as long as it's only a few dollars and guaranteed.