Is there a radio app available that I can download for free via iTunes?

Aug 2, 2009
Is there another radio app available that I can download for free via iTunes?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, Pandora.

Jul 11, 2009
Slacker radio has more songs but has 30 second ads for the g4 or somethign like that..

but pandora will stick when there is no signal

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
AOL Radio's app is free, I believe (can't check the App Store since I'm updating my iPhone to 3.0.1 right now). You can find radio stations all over the world with it and it works quite well.

Aug 2, 2009
Thanks for the response... Really appreciate it...

Can Pandora and AOL Radio app work here in the Philippines? And does it need internet to work? Hope not because internet here is quite expensive. I'd rather use a separate radio device than use the app...

I have fstream app installed in my iPhone however, i can't make it work... Is there a special setting for this? i followed the instruction in the fstream website but no success... :[

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Thanks for the response... Really appreciate it...

Can Pandora and AOL Radio app work here in the Philippines? And does it need internet to work? Hope not because internet here is quite expensive. I'd rather use a separate radio device than use the app...

I have fstream app installed in my iPhone however, i can't make it work... Is there a special setting for this? i followed the instruction in the fstream website but no success... :[
Any radio app on the iPhone needs an internet connection to work since the iPhone does not have an FM radio in it. I'm not aware of any accessories out yet that will add this functionality to the iPhone without requiring an internet connection.

If you can connect to a Wi-Fi network, you can put the iPhone in Airplane Mode (but leave Wi-Fi on) and at least listen to the radio without incurring data charges.

Aug 2, 2009
hi macgirl,

thanks for the info... i really hope that mac will release a radio app for users here in the philippines... most of the phones here though have fm radio (even super old phone units)...

I know you asked about free apps, but I thought this may be a place to mention my favorite radio app, WunderRadio. It's currently $6.99, a bit pricey as apps go but for me it's well worth it. It was the winner of MacWorld's 2008 Best Radio App and has over 36,000 radio stations:

Listen to your local hometown radio station from anywhere in the world
  • Find specific stations using the extensive search function
  • Use GPS capabilities to generate a list of all local stations
  • Keep up-to-date with international news and current affairs
  • Listen to live commentary and sports talk
  • Build a list of your favorite stations and shows
  • Play back popular shows at your own leisure if you missed the live broadcast
  • Check emergency scanner streams from ScanAmerica.us
  • Check weather conditions on local NOAA weather radio streams
  • Get local railroad information from RailRoad.net
I'm not connected to them in any way, I just like the product and I use the weather and scanner features regularly.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I know you asked about free apps, but I thought this may be a place to mention my favorite radio app, WunderRadio. It's currently $6.99, a bit pricey as apps go but for me it's well worth it. It was the winner of MacWorld's 2008 Best Radio App and has over 36,000 radio stations:

Listen to your local hometown radio station from anywhere in the world
  • Find specific stations using the extensive search function
  • Use GPS capabilities to generate a list of all local stations
  • Keep up-to-date with international news and current affairs
  • Listen to live commentary and sports talk
  • Build a list of your favorite stations and shows
  • Play back popular shows at your own leisure if you missed the live broadcast
  • Check emergency scanner streams from ScanAmerica.us
  • Check weather conditions on local NOAA weather radio streams
  • Get local railroad information from RailRoad.net
I'm not connected to them in any way, I just like the product and I use the weather and scanner features regularly.
I thought about buying this app a awhile back because I want access to Polish radio stations. I didn't buy it because there was no trial version so I couldn't see what their selection was. Any chance you can look at see what they have?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I thought about buying this app a awhile back because I want access to Polish radio stations. I didn't buy it because there was no trial version so I couldn't see what their selection was. Any chance you can look at see what they have?
I don't have a list on radio stations in Poland, but I just looked on WunderRadio and there are at least a couple hundred in there...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
These are posted all over the 'net, not just here. probably a bot.

--
Mike

Jul 20, 2009
Iceland
Try TuneWiki.. I'm loving too much it... it's even radio but is really, really a complete app.. and, sure, is FREE!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think of TuneWiki more as a lyrics app than a radio app. Much better radio apps out there, unless you like the lyics thing (which is good, but to me that is the main purpose of TuneWiki).

--
Mike

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Yeah TuneWiki is great when you can't figure out a line or verse in a song. Nothing like it for lyrics but I agree it's definitely not the best radio app out there. WunderRadio is, hands down, the best radio app out there IMO. Of course, the best things in life aren't free though but it's well worth the money. A couple of my fav free radio apps are Pandora, iheartRadio and AOL.

Although for the most part I use WunderRadio and Padora exclusively .

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
I concur with MileHighRob, I really enjoy Iheartradio. It is backed by Clear Channel, they are one of the largest radio conglomerates in the US. So they have hundreds of stations available to listen to almost live radio.

My only gripe is how fast the battery dies when I listen to streaming radio. If a full charge last four hours, I'm lucky. So I try to leave my phone in a charger while listening to streaming music.