Is there a risk in jailbreaking the iPhone?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I'm seriously considering jailbreaking the iPhone, just so i can move and change icons on the desktop. I am not interested in unlocking the phone so far. Is there any risk at all? Whatever happens, will I always be able to restore?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I'm seriously considering jailbreaking the iPhone, just so i can move and change icons on the desktop. I am not interested in unlocking the phone so far. Is there any risk at all? Whatever happens, will I always be able to restore?
I'm assuming you are an AT&T customer... If so, mod your butt off! I've restored my phone tens of times...

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
I havn't had a problem jailbreaking yet and i have restored about 8 times now.

BAD_S197

Nov 2, 2007
haha ... it's the "i've restored x number of times" thats kinda funny.

If it worked great you would never have to restore at all.

haha

MiataLord

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
1 of my restores was to see if i can restore, the other 3 were b/c i was experimenting with the phone when i was in the learning process for modding, and customizing it, all good now:laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There is always a risk, but it's not likely anything serious will happen. Most people get theirs back up and running if anything happens.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Thanks you guys for your answers. I now feel really confident jailbreaking my iPhone.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
no risk in jailbreaking and makes the phone much more enjoyable... no matter what happens it can be fixed... no has bricked there phone... ok well not no one but only a couple of people and that was people working on methods to jailbreak, and unlock the phones so it was to be expected... but any of the methods to jailbreak that are out now are perfectly safe... if you have 1.1.1 then i suggest the jailbreakme.com method... very simple to do and www.hacktheiPhone.com has very good instructions and a video of the process being done... takes about 5 mins

Oct 30, 2007
i have an unlocked iPhone 1.0.2. will this brick my iPhone?

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
if its unlocked then it is already jailbroken...

Nov 4, 2007
Sorry for the nooby Q. I also have an unlocked iPhone. Can I still restore my phone safely without locking it again rendering it useless here in Guam? The reason being is because I can not seem to get the ipod part of it to work. I can not transfer music from my iTunes library to the iPhone. It does not recognize the iPhone. Thanks.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Just a point of clarification needed for my sake. I have read in various posts that if you need to service your phone a restore at the 1.1.1 does not actually restore it rather over-writes portions so the mods remain behind to a degree and they can see them if they want to. Does a restore of 1.1.1 completely wipe the phone or does it more of over-write just what it needs?

I am curious as I plan to go to 1.1.1 tonight when I move my phone from my XP box to my sort or trusty ol' leopard laptop and should I decide to mod this will influence my decision as I tend to destroy the phone on the first few mods before I settle in.