Is there a way to delete temporary data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheFamousOne, Jul 16, 2008.

1. TheFamousOne

TheFamousOne New Member

So Im not sure if its even nessecary, but I thought I'd ask. Does the 3G store temp internet files/cookies/other data? Reason I ask is there is over a gig and a half of "other" items on the phone, and I doubt its only apps. What's taking up so much space?
  2. Saverino

Saverino Zealot

Go into Settings -> Safari -> and then there are options on the bottom to clear history, cookies, and cache.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

How about temporary contacts in email...?

for example, I deleted this person from my contacts but when I go to compose an email and I hit the first letter of their name/email address, their email address shows up.

How can I delete that...?
  5. Voltaic Shock

Voltaic Shock New Member

I don't think you can without resetting everything on the phone under settings.
  6. showguy

showguy Member

I think deleted contacts are gone for good once you sync with whatever contact manager you are using.
  7. TAEWING59

TAEWING59 New Member

same here... I send pictures to my friends all the time so slot of my contacts have there mms address as an email adress... I use the label "mobile" for that... But if I they have changed there number and I change it in my iPhone... When I start to the there number or name of still lists the old one...
  8. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

anyone...?
  9. tbs

tbs New Member

I had 1.25GB lost data space. I had rented a movie from iTunes and when the rental expired and the movie was deleted it did not return the free space. Someone on this list told me to reset the phone which I did and that did the trick.

Try resetting your phone to see if that helps.
  10. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

I'm new to the iphone and the whole syncing w/ iTunes thing...what exactly are you referring to when you say "reset your phone" and what is the process...? Does it do a "master reset" of the entire phone and then you just re-sync w/ your computer...?
  11. kenneth

kenneth Zealot

Try holding the power button on top and the home button on the front until the phone shuts off automaticly. Once the phone is on the black screen simply push the power button and turn the phone back on.
  12. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

Just tried this...the temporary email addresses are still there...
  13. dturner

dturner Zealot

As far as I know of these can't be deleted. Way back when I got the V1, I sent myself an email to test it out and see if it was working. I typed in .con the first time and to this day with the 3G it is still with me. So now if I was to bring up my address in email, I have 2 to choose from. Now if I had done that on another contact, it would be a real pain to have to be careful to not choose the wrong one.
  14. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

What a pain in the a*s...do you think there is an app to fix this...?

At there very least, a sync should get rid of it if they are not in your contacts...

Does a "master reset" work...? I was going to try it today, but it said it would take like 2 hours...I'll do it tomorrow morning if it will work...
  15. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot

Restoring the phone might be the only solution.
  16. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

Just so you all know...I've spent over 3 hours this morning erasing ALL data on the phone and reloading it. Turns out that email address is STILL THERE. I'm assuming because it was there when I backed it up this morning and the phone is just restoring to it's original point.

What a joke. Why is it so freaking dificult to delete a "temporary" email address...????? Anyone...Help ????
  17. dturner

dturner Zealot

You would have to restore as a new phone to solve your problem. Of course you would loose everything else.:mad:
  18. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot

Bingo!!!!!
  19. failsafe

failsafe New Member

BossPrefs has a new toggle that will clean up addresses from mail.app. Not sure if you've done a jailbreak yet but if so check Cydia. App is called ABRecentCleanup BossPrefs Toggle
  20. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

Thank you failsafe...honestly I don't know anything about what Jailbreaking is...do I need to do something to my phone to install that app...?
  21. Hoshtaylor

Hoshtaylor New Member

I just wanted to update these two threads on this topic...I imagine that it's been nearly 2 months now since I tried to delete the temporary email address that I wanted to delete....long story short...it's gone now.

So I would have to assume that after all the things that I tried and didn't work, my best guess is that there is some kind of time limit or expiration for temporary data that is not used so it's then cleared/deleted. I'm not sure how long, but this seems to be the logical explaination.

Thoughts anyone...?