Is there a way to make the iPhone automatically start a new call with the area code?

daycheck

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
Logan utah
www.tosque.com
Is there a way to make the iPhone automatically start a new call with the area code.. or an area code I choose..
we have to dial the area code here and it gets annoying .. lol

thanks peeps

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Did you not have to dial 10 digit numbers before? I thought that has been standard for years now.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
that's interesting. So you are saying that your iPhone doesn't automatically dial the 10 digit number, just the 7, right? I think that might be a setting that AT&T needs to correct. I just looked in my phone and there isn't an option of whether or not to dial the area code, and when inputting a number for my phone book, there isn't an option of entering the area code in a separate field or anything. I just type all 10 numbers.
What firmware version are you using?

Call 611 and talk with AT&T about making sure you are dialing correctly.

daycheck

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
Logan utah
www.tosque.com
that's interesting. So you are saying that your iPhone doesn't automatically dial the 10 digit number, just the 7, right? I think that might be a setting that AT&T needs to correct. I just looked in my phone and there isn't an option of whether or not to dial the area code, and when inputting a number for my phone book, there isn't an option of entering the area code in a separate field or anything. I just type all 10 numbers.
What firmware version are you using?

Call 611 and talk with AT&T about making sure you are dialing correctly.
what I am saying is .. there is a setting in a palm treo that you can put the default area code. so when you dial a number say 555-5555 when it calls it calls 555-555-5555 .. it puts the area code in for you .. the only reason i asked this is because my boss has a palm treo and LOVES it, and when i told him i had to dial the area code he said.. that $500 phone wont put in the area code for you.. then he started giving me crap about it.. ;)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Are you really dialing that many new numbers each day? I just save all my numbers in my phonebook with the area code already there. I might dial a new phone number once a week or so, and hitting those 3 extra numbers is far from annoying (and it's usually a different area code than my city anyway).

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
what I am saying is .. there is a setting in a palm treo that you can put the default area code. so when you dial a number say 555-5555 when it calls it calls 555-555-5555 .. it puts the area code in for you .. the only reason i asked this is because my boss has a palm treo and LOVES it, and when i told him i had to dial the area code he said.. that $500 phone wont put in the area code for you.. then he started giving me crap about it.. ;)
I gotcha now. No, there is not a setting like that for the iPhone, presumably because in nearly all major metropolitan areas, there are generally more than 1 area code.
When I moved to Georgia, there was only 404 for the top half of the state and 912 for the lower half. Now I don't know how many area codes are in the state, but in the Atlanta Metro area, there is 404, 770, 678 and 706. Calling next door could be any of the first 3. That is why the iPhone does not have a feature to set a default area code.