Is there a way to prevent updating for certain apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by JWiPhone, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Most of the time I welcome updates for apps, but today I see where Monopoly has a new update I DO NOT wish to use. They snuck in a Toyota ad into the update. I don't mind ads for free apps but I strongly object to ads in paid apps. Does anyone know how I can keep an app from updating? I'm also jailbroken. Would there be a jailbreak solution for this? Thanks in advance.

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just don't hit Update! Or did I miss something. Nothing updates automatically that I am aware of. I have several that I didn't like the updates for. Now, that leaves you with the little red number on the icon. I believe there is a JB App that lets you remove that though.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I feel your pain. I hate when certain updates to apps change the app in a way that you do not like. I read all updates now and if it doesn't add levels for a game or fix a problem that I have noticed I just don't update them. No more update all for me.

4. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I could do that. However, if I do that means from now on I have to update each app individually rather than automatically updating all of them, which can be a pain since I have hundreds of apps, and each week there are updates for many of them.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Ah, I understand that! ;) Not sure if there is a JB tweak that lets you ignore updates, as in Win7 and others. I haven't looked into that. I just live with it for now.
    Edit: Google just revealed something called Update Hider, but I didn't review it thoroughly.

6. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I do the same thing. This update for Monopoly doesn't add anything other than an ad for Toyota Prius.

7. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

You could just delete the app and ask for your money back. I understand your frustrations and maybe they will be less likely to do the same thing again if you complain.

8. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Thanks so much Lon. This sounds like a possible solution!

"Usually when a developer releases a new version of an iPhone app, it comes with new features, bug fixes, or other enhancements. But sometimes updates remove features, add annoying advertisements, or make other unpleasant changes. If you’re avoiding updating some of your apps, but tired of seeing them show up in the App Store on your device (and tired of avoiding the “Update All” button, there’s an app for that.
    Update Hider is a free app available from the Cydia store. You’ll need a jailbroken iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to use it. but once installed, the app lets you swipe across any app in the App Store Updates window. You’ll see a red “ignore button,” which you can press to ignore the update. There’s a confirmation window that will pop up and give you one last chance to change your mind."

EDIT: I see where it only works with iOS 4.2 or lower. It won't work with 4.3. That isn't a problem for me personally.

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I went and looked to see if I had the update cause I have the game also. I wouldn't have and certainly won't now update it.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe1314997564.865032.jpg

10. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Update Hider - I love it!

ImageUploadedByiCafe1314998721.035014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

11. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. EA must have gotten a sizeable chunk of cash from Toyota to put that into their app.

If you have iOS 4.2 or lower and are jailbroken try out Update Hider. It ignored my Monopoly app update.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

That is cool. Not much help for us non jail breakers lol. Until then I will have a ton of apps waiting for updates lol

13. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Hate stuff like that.
    The worst to me is my google app. Every time it gets an update it changes it so much in ways I hate. Imdb app is same way.

14. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

So, that looks like it ignores the current updates, but future ones will come up again. And presumably you could then ignore them if you chose to. Is the ignore on the current update reversible?

16. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Lon, yes, to your comment about future ones will come up again, but you can just ignore those too. I don't believe it is reversible. So far, I haven't seen any option like that. It just give you a confirmation screen if you wish to proceed with the ignore. Under iPhone Settings it does give you a list of apps and their version numbers that you have hidden. I really like this. I hope they will 'update' this cydia app for future iOS versions. Only bad thing about it is that it works with version iOS 4.2 or lower.

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, I saw that in your earlier post. I guess I won't give it a try! ;) I wonder if that means it could work on 4.2.1, which I have on my 3GS. I may give it a try though I don't keep too many Apps on that phone.

18. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Update: (no pun intended) Lon, I was incorrect. It does reverse the ignored apps in Settings. You can just swipe over the list of Hidden Apps and it will put them back in the App Updates.

UPDATE: Update Hider v1.1 has been released, and now allows you to un-hide your hidden app updates in Settings.app.

19. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

A website says it works on 4.2 or higher but on Cydia it states this.

ImageUploadedByiCafe1315002146.547824.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

20. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just installed it on the 3gs running 4.2.1. I got v.1.2, which is still not compatible with os versions 4.3 and above. I guess I will just hang out and wait for an update so I can try it out! :sleep: