Is there a way to take the apps from my phone and save them to iTunes?

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
My computer just crapped on me and I had to reinstall the operating system, thus losing all the information for the apps I have saved to my phone because I was unable to back it up first.

Is there some type of method I could use while syncing which will take all the apps on my phone—and all the information stored in them—and save it to iTunes, without iTunes just wiping out all my apps and leaving me with nothing? If so, can I also do this for my contacts that I sync with Outlook?

Currently, when I open Outlook, there are absolutely no contacts saved, because I didn't get to back that up either. I really don't want to have to manually enter everything in, and manually redownload every single app and remember what info I had stored in them, especially financial apps. :sick:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, Apps and contacts will both be synced back to your PC when you sync with iTunes for the first time. Just be sure to select "Merge" when iTunes asks if you want to merge the data between the two devices. Your music and videos, however, will not transfer back.

If something goes wrong with your apps, they are always available to be downloaded again from the appstore without having to pay again.

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
It actually didn't even give me a choice to merge. But what I ended up doing was just right-clicking on my iPhone in the device area and choosing "Transfer Purchases" and it copied all the apps. As for the contacts, I remembered that I had exported an old file of the Outlook Contacts, so I just updated what wasn't already on there. Thanks for the help though.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
odd that it didn't ask.

Anyway, glad it worked out for ya.

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
Well, actually, after I did all that stuff, I went ahead and hit the button to sync and it did ask me. It's just that I was so scared to do it before, because I didn't want to lose all my stuff. I get petrified when it comes to losing all my stuff. LOL