Is there an app / log that would help me troubleshoot why my WiFi connection keeps dropp

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by emhcee, Feb 9, 2013.

1. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

After noticing that my Wifi was out a few times, which was strange, I'd go back in and find the network and rejoin. Then sitting here just watching my phone, I see that after a few minutes it just drops again and switches to 3G. Any ideas?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What area or place is this occurring at? Your home or work? Some places, for example my College, takes you out of the Wifi network if you leave a building or if your iPhone locks.

On Cydia I do see an app called "WiFi Analyzer." It costs 99 cents but it says it works for iOS 4, 5 and 6. In the description it says it will "quickly identify channel conflicts, overlapping and other factors that may be affecting the performance of your wireless network in homes." I have not tried it personally myself.

There are also apps like this one in the App Store, and with those you can read reviews posted by others.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

That sounds like a good troubleshooting step, thanks. This is at home, and within about 6 feet of the router. I've always had a rock-solid connection and no issues, it seems like it's been just since I jailbroke and started tweaking in the last day or two. I'm going to see if I can narrow it down to a specific app I've installed.

4. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

That sounds like a good troubleshooting step, thanks. This is at home, and within about 6 feet of the router. I've always had a rock-solid connection and no issues, it seems like it's been just since I jailbroke and started tweaking in the last day or two. I'm going to see if I can narrow it down to a specific app I've installed.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

No problem.

Do you have any apps or tweaks installed that says it will better your wifi connection or anything like that? It may not be compatible with iOS 6.

Sent using iCafe app

6. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

Nah, nothing so obvious. But I do have NCSettings installed and that (I've found today) supposedly has a wifi problem. When I pinpoint it (of have a best guess), I'll chime back in with what I've found.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That would be great so if others have the same issue they can see what it could be caused by. Hope you get it resolved. Wifi is definitely nice to have!

Sent using iCafe app

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Also look at seeing if there is an update to your routers firmware.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is a common 6.x problem. I experience it as well. 6.1 was supposed to fix it, but it didn't seem to help everyone. Hopefully, 6.1.1 will.

10. BCCSuperSizeIt

Bronze

I had the same problem at home, sucky internet.
    My netflix would buffer, youtube was unwatchable, anything that involved wifi was very slow.

My wireless network at home consisted of a Airport Extreme Gen 3, Airport Express Gen 2 and a wifi extender upstairs.

After some internet searching and a genius talk at a local Apple store, I learned that wifi devices do not last a lifetime.

I bought a new Airport Extreme at BestBuy ( I asked them to match a Educational discount on the Apple Store site and they did. ) I swaped out my 8 year old router at Time Warner with a new one. I disconnected the wifi extender. Now everything works great and no buffering.

It may be the age of your equipment. I swaped out my stuff for new and all is great.

It worked for me.