Is there an Auto Text App?

gaelg

Dec 30, 2009
Petaluma
I really want to be able to type in abbreviations and have a whole sentence actually type out so i can send in a text mssg. I've searched and searched to no avail. anyone help me?

example:
type "topo" and have the text read "Top of the morning to you"

etc

thanks much!

:) Gael

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I think with something like this, it would be virtually impossible to find it on the App Store. Sentences like that would be very subjective to the person using the application.

There are applications that allow you to speak into the iPhone and it uses voice recognition technology to type out what you're saying. Beyond that, I don't know of much.

gaelg

Dec 30, 2009
Petaluma
I think with something like this, it would be virtually impossible to find it on the App Store. Sentences like that would be very subjective to the person using the application.

There are applications that allow you to speak into the iPhone and it uses voice recognition technology to type out what you're saying. Beyond that, I don't know of much.
hi,
that text was just an example of what I want.... even just typing hith into a text mssg would then expand into hi there.... etc...make sense?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I understand what you mean, I'm just saying such an application probably won't ever come to fruition because what "hith" to you means "hi there" it could mean "he insisted they have..." to someone else.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I think I know what he gaelg wants: macros. This would never make it to the appstore but maybe to Cydia. I'm guessing in order for it to work, a dev would have to modify the iPhones dictionary (or whatever it uses for autocorrect) and allow user defined shortcuts.

gaelg

Dec 30, 2009
Petaluma
I understand what you mean, I'm just saying such an application probably won't ever come to fruition because what "hith" to you means "hi there" it could mean "he insisted they have..." to someone else.
ok...so I'm not making myself clear I guess... what I am looking for is an app where one can CREATE one's own phrase and THEN also the appreviation for it. I had it for my BB Storm, (can't recall the name of it right not tho I think it was "Quick Text"), where WITHIN the app I'd type in a phrase like "be there soon" and the abbrviation I'd actually type in the SMS would be 'bts' but the WHOLE phrase would appear on the receiving persons text box. does that make more sense? it's an individuals preference what abbreviation is used

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I think I know what he gaelg wants: macros. This would never make it to the appstore but maybe to Cydia. I'm guessing in order for it to work, a dev would have to modify the iPhones dictionary (or whatever it uses for autocorrect) and allow user defined shortcuts.
Right. He wants to create macros. Don't know of any app that will do this.

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
There's TextExpander in the AppStore, but it does not integrate with everything (and not with any of the native apps - you have to open up the app and type and then I think there's a "transfer to SMS" or something option; also, Tweetie 2 and SimplyTweet have direct support, IIRC). For jailbroken devices, there may be something (I remember hearing about an app called Xpander or something, but I don't know if that does the same thing).

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Thanks Josh. That app will do what he wants although you do have to copy and paste into SMS app. Direct support for mail and Twitter clients. Might have to pick this one up myself. It's on sale right now for $1.99.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Xpandr does this perfectly, it's available through Cydia.

I use this all the time, it's handy when typing something you type all the time really quickly i.e email addresses and phone numbers etc.. It's just hard remembering your custom macros.

You have to start off with a special character, I use '!'

For example, if I wanted to write
'Regards,
John Smith
07841000000!

I would/could write in any text box (that's how good Xpandr is) '!JS'
Typing the macro in will automatically complete the phrase..

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It is really good and handy, I use it primarily because I can be lazy, I hate using abbreviations so this is pure genius in my eyes.

Glad you like it, Kevin.