Is there an easy way to get another iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I've dropped my phone numerous times and it looks pretty bad now. Is there a way I can get another from Apple? You know like tell them something is wrong. My right speaker on my headset isn't working but I don't think they would replace the whole phone just because of that. Any ideas?

JEWISH_GOAT

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
I've dropped my phone numerous times and it looks pretty bad now. Is there a way I can get another from Apple? You know like tell them something is wrong. My right speaker on my headset isn't working but I don't think they would replace the whole phone just because of that. Any ideas?
Apple may not be able to do anything about the phone if the damages are not considered under the 'factory warranty'. So things like dropping it and having a cracked screen etc just wont cut it for Apple :(

Best suggestion would be get it insured. There are some threads with people saying State Farm and other big insurance company's will insure your iPhone for $40 a year. I would definitely consider doing that if/when you replace your current damaged one.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
Well i think that if you dropped it why should Apple have to replace the item.. Is it somehow their fault that your phone isn't working properly now because you dropped it...?

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
Well i think that if you dropped it why should Apple have to replace the item.. Is it somehow their fault that your phone isn't working properly now because you dropped it...?
i don't think he is saying it is broken i think he is just saying it looks bad...and with that i tell him you should have put the $30 down to buy a case because now the only way to get a new phone is to put down another $399 the choice is simple...i don't have a case my iPhone looks like its been dropped a few times and i don't really care it still works fine get a case to cover up the scratches and call it a day man no need to make everyone else pay for your clumsiness

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
i don't think he is saying it is broken i think he is just saying it looks bad...and with that i tell him you should have put the $30 down to buy a case because now the only way to get a new phone is to put down another $399 the choice is simple...i don't have a case my iPhone looks like its been dropped a few times and i don't really care it still works fine get a case to cover up the scratches and call it a day man no need to make everyone else pay for your clumsiness

yes i totally agree with your post just get a case to put on it and cover the scratches up.. If your fairly clumsy op you shoulda had a case anyway whats 30 bucks when your spending 400 for a phone...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You have two choices.

Deal with the scratches. Maybe put a case on; it'll cover them.

Man up and pay for another. Apple won't give you another one because "it looks bad".

- John

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
don't think he is saying it is broken i think he is just saying it looks bad...and with that i tell him you should have put the $30 down to buy a case because now the only way to get a new phone is to put down another $399 the choice is simple...i don't have a case my iPhone looks like its been dropped a few times and i don't really care it still works fine get a case to cover up the scratches and call it a day man no need to make everyone else pay for your clumsiness
Who said I didn't have a case? I've had 2 cases and both of them failed when the phone was dropped. Oh and money is not an issue. But if I buy another phone, won't I have to get a new phone number? I thought that you have to use the sim that comes with the phone in the box.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
most most sincere apologies then i was just assuming that there was no case on it because it was damaged but sorry about that...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
anyone have an answer? If I buy another phone, would I be forced to get a new number or sign another contract?
no you wouldn't have to get a new number.

and which cases were you using? i've been using the Agent18(black) and it has always been very protective.

also, i suggest just waiting for the iPhoneII to come out in 2008. especially if there is nothing wrong with the phone itself.

also, i have heard of a situation where someone took in their headset because one of the headphones wans't working and was given a new iPhone and a new headset. i've only heard of that happening once, and it was someone on this forum but maybe give that a shot?

and as for matters of the soul, i wouldn't trade it in based on a few scratches because things like this tend to come back and get you. (not saying you believe in that)

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I love my iPhone and I have also dropped it a ton of times. No, cracks and it still looks fine. I do blame myself but I will have to admit the darn thing is slippery! I did buy those skins and cases for them but in the end, I love the iPhone in it's original form factor and putting on condoms and hard cases on it either makes it ugly or scratches it after a while. For some people, it's a great way to personalize their iPhone, but for me, if I drop it face down first on cement, it will still probably scratch the screen.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
no you wouldn't have to get a new number.

and which cases were you using? i've been using the Agent18(black) and it has always been very protective.

also, i suggest just waiting for the iPhoneII to come out in 2008. especially if there is nothing wrong with the phone itself.

also, i have heard of a situation where someone took in their headset because one of the headphones wans't working and was given a new iPhone and a new headset. i've only heard of that happening once, and it was someone on this forum but maybe give that a shot?

and as for matters of the soul, i wouldn't trade it in based on a few scratches because things like this tend to come back and get you. (not saying you believe in that)
That Be Me! :p

chavezr6

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I was in the AT&T store yesterday and asked them about that very thing. Not to get a new phone just wanted a headset that works and the told me to call Apple. Damn it!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I was in the AT&T store yesterday and asked them about that very thing. Not to get a new phone just wanted a headset that works and the told me to call Apple. Damn it!
Seems that everyone has either been helped greatly by Apple or looked at like they were crazy; YMMV.

Getting an entirely new phone because the headset was crap was a surprise to me. I thought they were just going to replace the headset; simple as that. Funny thing though, I don't even use the Apple headsets.

tambaer

Dec 14, 2007
Apple may not be able to do anything about the phone if the damages are not considered under the 'factory warranty'. So things like dropping it and having a cracked screen etc just wont cut it for Apple :(

Best suggestion would be get it insured. There are some threads with people saying State Farm and other big insurance company's will insure your iPhone for $40 a year. I would definitely consider doing that if/when you replace your current damaged one.
You wrote "Apple may not be able to do anything about the phone if the damages are not considered under the 'factory warranty'"
NO cell phone manufacturers, Apple included, will cover ANY damages under the manufacturers warranty (nor should they).The Warranty is for "manufacturers defects" only, not problems caused by dropping or otherwise damaging the phone. If you purchase separate phone insurance, damages would be covered by this (according to the limitaions of your specific policy). In some cases you can call you insurance agent and add it to your homeowners policy very cheaply.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
You wrote "Apple may not be able to do anything about the phone if the damages are not considered under the 'factory warranty'"
NO cell phone manufacturers, Apple included, will cover ANY damages under the manufacturers warranty (nor should they).The Warranty is for "manufacturers defects" only, not problems caused by dropping or otherwise damaging the phone. If you purchase separate phone insurance, damages would be covered by this (according to the limitaions of your specific policy). In some cases you can call you insurance agent and add it to your homeowners policy very cheaply.

totally agree.....

Jun 11, 2007
Lansing, MI
www.freemod.net
A dude over at MMi plugged in some headphones, stripped the wires and then plugged those into an electrical outlet, all in the name of Apple paying for his iPhone, which he had bricked. I would never condone that, as modding is a risk that you are assuming once you do anulything outside of loading music and videos via iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.