Is there ANY alternative to iTunes?

Jul 20, 2009
I just got an iPhone and while I enjoy the heck out of it, I really find iTunes to be clumsy, slow and generally a huge pain to use. I'm wondering if there's any alternatives out there? Any other program that could be used instead? I realize I'll never be able to just drag and drop files onto the phone using windows explorer (though that sure would be nice) but I'm hoping there's some software besides iTunes, preferably one that's not so gunked up and slow and unresponsive, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have, rest assured it's greatly appreciated.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sorry, for syncing with the iPhone, you're stuck in iTunes land. I fought it kicking and screaming for a month before I submitted and organized it how I wanted. And it then grew on me...

Jul 20, 2009
I kinda figured that was the case.

Dang.

iTunes isn't the worst program ever written but it's got serious glitches that really slow me down. Stuff like it not adding files to your library even after you try to add them 10 times and it taking 4 minutes to click on your phone to see the data, etc. Ultimately it does the job, but it doesn't do it quickly and it almost never does it on the first try.

Oh well, looks like it's the only game in town, so I better learn to love it.

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ya know, since you brought it up, I'm having issues adding some files to my library as well. I consolidated my library to a new drive recently and some albums didn't make the jump. When I try to add them now, I get no error, but nothing happens. They don't show up.

Not expecting you to know the answer, Jimmy, but I figured I'd piggyback your thread instead of making a new one... :eek:k:eek:k So anyone know what's causing this?

Jul 20, 2009
I have no idea what's causing the problem but I do know the solution that seems to work for me: When iTunes won't let me add a single file, I create a folder, drop that one file into it and add the entire folder. That seems to add the file just fine. I have no idea why this should be necessary; since adding a single file is an option in the dropdown, I feel like I should be able to do that and hopefully do it quickly. However this doesn't appear the case, so when adding a file doesn't work- I just add a folder instead.

I think iTunes works best for folks who don't make constant additions to their music libraries, as I do. I'm always moving stuff, deleting stuff, adding stuff, etc. I'd like all the changes I make to be reflected in iTunes, but short of re-adding all my music to my library every single time i make a change, I just can't figure out how to do it. Even the slightest change seems to be a huge pain for iTunes.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmmm... I'm adding whole albums by folder and that's what's not working for me...

Jul 20, 2009
Well dang, I'm all out of ideas. There's nothing more frustrating than repeatedly trying to add files and having iTunes just hang there forever. I'm really hoping that one day Apple will just let me drag and drop using windows explorer. Yeah it's not as fancy but it does the job really well with much less hassle.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I just got an iPhone and while I enjoy the heck out of it, I really find iTunes to be clumsy, slow and generally a huge pain to use. I'm wondering if there's any alternatives out there? Any other program that could be used instead? I realize I'll never be able to just drag and drop files onto the phone using windows explorer (though that sure would be nice) but I'm hoping there's some software besides iTunes, preferably one that's not so gunked up and slow and unresponsive, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have, rest assured it's greatly appreciated.
I am definitely with you on hating iTunes. For sure the worst piece of software Apple has come out with and I'm using it on OSX! I used to use Linux and there were a number of programs I could have used to manage the music on my iPhone. I just looked into the one that I used regularly and they do not have a Windows version. That doesn't mean that there isn't some other piece of open source software that will do the trick. Just Google it up.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Ya know, since you brought it up, I'm having issues adding some files to my library as well. I consolidated my library to a new drive recently and some albums didn't make the jump. When I try to add them now, I get no error, but nothing happens. They don't show up.

Not expecting you to know the answer, Jimmy, but I figured I'd piggyback your thread instead of making a new one... :eek:k:eek:k So anyone know what's causing this?
How big is your library Dave and where are you storing it? I'm pushing 65k songs now all on an external hard drive and I often run into errors like that. I just have to keep trying. It seems to me the larger the library gets and when its moved to an outside source problems arise.

Murdomac

Jul 3, 2009
The easiest way round a lot of glitches/problems is first to sort your whole library (I used this http://www.sort-mp3.com/about_sort_mp3.html ) then copy your entire music file to another drive, delete the whole iTunes library, copy back the sorted music folder and point iTunes to it, worked like a charm albeit a bit clumsy.

The childish behavior of such mega companies like Apple by preventing 3rd party software development to use with the ipod/iPhone is beyond belief and will in the end be self defeating, they really need to 'get a life' and allow someone, somewhere who knows how to write a decent piece of software have a go.

Last edited by a moderator: