Is there any Android based smartphone that compares to the smoothness of the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 15, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

When I have messed with Androids the software and touchscreen interface seems very choppy, almost strobe-like and the graphics not sharp where as the iPhone is smooth and crisp. Is there some patent Apple has on the smoothness of this interface or is Droid just behind?

Also, is there any Droid phone that is superior in any significant areas to the iPhone 4s?

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Do you want to know because you want to buy a droid? Or do you ask because you want to say that iPhone is superior?

Either way this is unnecessary. We come to this forum to talk about iPhones. Not droids.
    If you are pro iPhone then you already know it is superior so why start. Just post somewhere that you love your iPhone.
    Trolling for heated debates is lame IMO.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Neither, I am genuinely curious which is superior.
    I asked a legit question comparing the two phones. Just because I bought an iPhone and enjoy it doesn't mean I know it is superior, just that I like it and am used to the software because I owned an iPod Touch for a couple years. I am asking this because I actually want to know the reason why the interfaces are so different. I am not trolling for heated debates, I don't appreciate your presumptions.

4. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

While it does sound like a loaded question I do understand where he is coming from.

5. kunfuzious

kunfuzious Member
    Bronze

Trolls are those that can't answer questions or engage in conversations.

Disclaimer: I've had every generation of iPhone since the first, when I joined these forums. I've "test" drove a couple of Droids, namely the Droid X and Evo, and recently the Galaxy SII.

Without question, the User experience on an iPhone (be it a 4 or 4S) is light years ahead of anything Android can churn out. Droids
    are great phones with some great features, but from top to bottom IMO they're still a distant second.

Add in the fragmentation issue and it's not close (IMO).

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Then don't you think it would be more useful to explore an Android forum? Androidforums.com
    Or perhaps using the search feature to explore the hundred threads already discussing this point featuring a hundred dead horses.
    My presumptions are based on your post. I know where this is head and going to end.
    We will have this ImageUploadedByiCafe1321420363.720177.jpg
    Everyone will boo the Android fans. (crazy that happening on an iPhone forum). Someone will sling personal insults. Thread will get locked.

Let me save everyone the time. Apple spends time making everything is perfect prior to releasing its phones. Android doesn't. Why it isn't smooth. If you have more questions on why see above link.
    No horses have to die. No one gets insulted.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Are you serious?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

^ Perfect might not be the best word, but I think they try to make features elegant, easy to use and working as well as they possibly can before they release them.

iPhones are great, but they are far from perfect...

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Yes. In reference to the smooth and crispness of the iPhone from the op.
    Perhaps perfect wasn't the best word. More perfected than a droid. That might be better.

10. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

OMG. psylichon and Tarek have worn me out.

Love the pic Rugaby. Though in this forum, the four arms should be on the Android.

Welcome back Naps, assume you've posted elsewhere, but this is the first post I've seen from you in a while. Hope you two had a great vacation.

I have to agree, this isn't the forum to honestly and openly look for a quality Android in comparison to an iPhone. And unfortunately with Androids fragmentation such a question is likely loaded even there. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

every single Android phone i have tried has had some lag with the exception of the GS2 it is the smoothest phone i have ever used. and trust me i have tried just about all of them. and yes even the iPhone. and there is no doubt that the GS2 is smoother than the iPhone. now if you don't believe me just check out youtube there you will find a ton of videos showing you what i mean.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

All five iPhones have had very smooth scrolling. The lack of this on most Android phones has always been immediately apparent to me when I tested them. The strength of iOS and its tight integration with Apple's hardware was what allowed this long before the iPhone had a dual-core processor.

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Especially historically, I think iOS did a great job underloading the system and so leaves ample room for smoothness and battery. I think recent advancements in notifications inherently increases load. The dual core of the 4S easily compensates but its not a surprise to me that the battery has to be tweaked.

At the same time iOS has matured and so can still balance load and responsiveness but and yet I hear it's a little hit and miss on the 3G/3GS. Still impressive given the age of those devices.

14. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

As a staffer on the Android forums (shhhhhh) and a user of both platforms, I can say honestly that I think any choppiness experienced on an Android device is most likely due to the overlay's (Moto Blur and HTC Sense) that the hardware manufacturers put on top of the OS.

In my experience, there is nothing as smooth or as fast as an Android phone with raw Android OS. However, while I love the Android OS I feel the same way as Europa states above and that is that the sheer elegance and simplicity of iOS and its integration with the Hardware is hard to beat!

While neither platform is perfect, I tend to lean toward iOS and its clean integration with the hardware platform!

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Mind giving your opinion on raw ASOP in terms of ease of use and simplicity. Absolutely, nothing simpler than iOS but people here often criticize Android's GUI not realizing its actually the OEMs overlay. I think it was as late as Chris' Moto Atrix review, that I had to remind him the Blur GUI was totally and easily replaceable, when he held it as a negative against the device.

16. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

I think we would first need to clarify if we are talking about comparing an "overlay'd" OS to true AOSP or simply to vanilla Android. I think going all the way to a basic AOSP is going too "raw" and you lose too much! I am however a huge fan of Vanilla Android and think this is the so called sweet spot between a raw AOSP ROM and an overlay'd ROM.

That said, I've always felt Moto devices to be a little choppy and HTC and Samsung devices a lot smoother! Just my opinion though and we all know how that goes! ;-))

My apologies to the hardcore Apple people for talking Android, I know how frustrating it can be for Android people when Apple people go on their forum and talk like this! Shutting my mouth guys! Again sorry, I just like talking mobile electronics! :)

17. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

So, staffer on eA or another forum?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

18. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Androidforums.com

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I questioned you because of what you actually typed:

"Let me save everyone the time. Apple spends time making everything is perfect prior to releasing its phones."

20. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

maybe just me, but the sentence feels awkward leaving me unsure of your intent.