Is there any news now 5MP iPhone yet

infoseeker

Mar 29, 2009
My contract is going to end with O2 in September 2009 and I so badly want a iPhone that has 5MP camera , has Apple release any thing yet

O guy's check this out , on official Apple site forum room I posted this question and guess what , Apple did , they remove my tread one after the other. stating it was to be submitted as a feedback.

how sad is that. :mad:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There is another thread just started by Macgirl with an article link indicating that the camera might be 3.2mp. There is a LOT of speculation out there, but until Apple makes the statements. No one is going to know anything.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
nobody knows anything for sure, no official announcements have been made

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It will not be difficult to tell around here when news breaks. Just hit "New Posts" or search for all posts by Indy. :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll take 3.2 with great optics and a sensitive CMOS, please. Why do you want 5MB pictures on your cell phone?

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
3.2 isn't much difference to what we currently have lol. And when you see phones now-a-days with 6-8MP standard...
3.2 isn't much difference at all lol, its so sad.. an amazing phone with such a crappy camera.

Actually 3.2 is pretty standard right now with the exception of a few phones that have 5mp cameras... 6-8 standard? What? I haven't seen a single phone with a 6-8 megapixel camera.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I really wish megapixels never became a standard reference when comparing cameras. It's like wattage for speakers, it doesn't really tell the whole story and can be extremely misleading.

3.2 MP yields photos that are 2264x1392, which gives quality prints up to 8x10 @ over 200 dpi. How much bigger do you need your cellphone pictures to be?

Also keep in mind that higher MP means the camera will have to work harder at saving the file, and will likely need to use higher JPEG compression (read: worse quality) unless you want 5MB pictures on your phone, and I know I don't.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My Nokia 6620 took VGA photos and I had friends with 1.3 MP camera phones, and my phone took better pics all the time. At full resolution, they were slightly grainy, but I just had to shrink them slightly and they looked great. (did I mention that the video camera was pretty nice too?)

I don't care how many megapixels a camera has. I'm more concerned with how they look when I've taken a picture. In bright light, the iPhone takes nice photos. In anything else, and the quality drops dramatically.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I still look back on my old Canon 3.2MP shots in my photo library and they all look better than my current 7.2MP Sony shots. Now, the Sony is certainly no slouch, but it's no secret that Canon has superior optics and better sensors. That's what's most important.

I just want macro on my new iPhone... please please please. If it can do macro, chances are it will have very nice optics. Optical image stabilizing would also be way more important to me than high megapixel count.

Phxblue

Bronze
Apr 13, 2008
The Valley, AZ
Optics Optics Optics people. Let the Megapixel word go out from your brains. Think lens optic quality.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I don't care how many megapixels a camera has. I'm more concerned with how they look when I've taken a picture. In bright light, the iPhone takes nice photos. In anything else, and the quality drops dramatically.
Preachin' to the choir
I would take a .5MP camera that takes perfect pictures over a 10MP camera that blurs and looks grainy.
Size is nothing unless there is a specific reason why you need a large image. Anything over 2MP isn't really necessary to the average person taking pictures for funzies.

It's good to see posts here that bust the megapixel myth.

Just for fun, I checked Wiki and found that in 1991, Kodak brought to market the Kodak DCS-100, the beginning of a long line of professional SLR cameras by Kodak that were based in part on film bodies, often Nikons. It used a 1.3 megapixel sensor and was priced at $13,000.

1999 saw the introduction of the Nikon D1, a 2.74 megapixel camera that was the first digital SLR developed entirely by a major manufacturer, and at a cost of under $6,000.

But most important to this conversation they also confirm that "The pixel count alone is commonly presumed to indicate the resolution of a camera, but this is a misconception."

I'd like to see more specific details on the sensor and other camera specs, but for now I'm very happy with the photos and videos it takes. Good enough that I seldom take my Canon 20D anywhere unless I need to use my wide or tele 800.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Does everyone know that a higher megapixel camera doesn't translate to a better picture? Basically all it does is allow you to have a larger print. When you are talking a 4X6 print, there is no difference between a 3MP and a 6MP.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I glad you posted that. As a photographer I know about the MP myth. Its just a great marketing strategy for companies to say "hey buy me for more money because i have a higher number of megapixels"

Sad thing is that many people still wont read the link you posted.

Jul 15, 2009
who cares about mega pixels? Apple should really give the 3G a software update that gives it video first, then we'll talk about mp lol.