Is there any way that Apple can tell an iPhone has been JailBroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Archives' started by BlueHeeler, Dec 1, 2008.

1. BlueHeeler

BlueHeeler New Member
    Bronze

Is there any way that Apple can tell an iPhone has been JailBroken?

After doing countless hours of Google searching there seems to be just so much differing opinion on this.

If an iPhone is jailbroken and at some later date restored back.....is there ANY tell tale signs left over whatsoever that Apple could find if they where so inclined to look?

Thanks

2. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

I'm going to say NO. All you have to do is restore and then everything will be erased.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. dcom

dcom Zealot
    Gold

I'm only venturing a guess here, but I think if someone at Apple dug deep enough into the file structure, even after a standard Restore, they may find a folder or file that was left over from a Cydia app.

The best way to ensure you have nothing left after jailbreaking is to do an Erase All Content and Settings (from Settings->General->Reset), then do a Restore. It takes some time, but that will completely wipe your memory, leaving no trace of any previous data. It's what they recommend you do if you sell your iPhone so any unscrupulous hacker can't pull any private data out of it.

5. Y-Less

Y-Less New Member
    Bronze

If you do a full restore and set up as a new iPhone there is absolutely no way Apple can tell. Restores deletes the entire memory of the device and restores it back to factory setting. The iPhone would be back at the stage it was when your first open that sweet black/white box.

But; this screenshot makes me sick. Can Apple really tell?

[​IMG]

6. dsegel

dsegel New Member

Some settings, like the numeric battery toggle capability in BossPrefs, stick around even if you do a full restore. I've read there are some other things that stick around as well but that's the only one I have personally noticed.

7. Xtgirl

Xtgirl New Member
    Bronze

What is that log...is that a jailbroken phone hooked up to Apple software diagnostics? after a restore?

Where did you get that? Thanks...

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Is that on a fully restored phone?

9. nobopyon

nobopyon Member
    Bronze

I have noticed that...
    Also, my friend, who love to use "category" app from Cydia seem to leave the files even after full restore...

I wonder,
    will really erase all... so Apple won't be able to tell...

I haven't had a chance to take my phone to Apple store, but do they really go into iPhone structure like we can do in "iPhonebrowser" to see the inside file structures..?

10. failsafe

failsafe New Member
    Bronze

I upgraded to 2.2 and jailbroke my 3G as soon as quickpwn for 2.2 was released. A few days later the phone randomly stopped making/receiving calls (though I could still receive/send data and texts).

I did a restore and took it to the Apple store. They took a quick look, verified that it could not make/receive calls and promptly replaced the phone. I assume Apple has the ability to look at the file structure of the phone- although I don't know if they can/will at the Genius bar specifically.

11. nobopyon

nobopyon Member
    Bronze

That's what I'd hope what they do... simple "take a look" thing....
    I guess it'd also depends what kind of person in genius bar take a look.. maybe...

12. smittylube

smittylube Member
    Bronze

I can see some files in my upgrades 2.2 when I use iPhone browser. I cant get to what I want to change stuff or mod but I can see some JB files.

13. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility

It's from Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility (it's free). . .

For PCs

For mac

14. xcissexc

xcissexc New Member

but if you restore and set up as a new phone then that wont be there anymore

15. nobopyon

nobopyon Member
    Bronze

I'm not sure if I understand what this do....?

16. kenneth

kenneth Zealot
    Gold

I was in the Apple store today getting my 16 GB swapped out because it has had the light leakage issue but the closest Apple store is like 2 hrs away. While i was there a omen brought in a phone that the screen was all messed up like there were a bunch of black waves in it. Well while she was there they put the phone on a program and asked her if the phone has ever been "messed" with. She said "no" and the he plugged in the phone and it came up with everything that has ever been done to the phone as in apps and contacts. I thought to myself i hope he doesn't ask me the same question because i will be screwed lol. I had already restored to 2.2 and done erase all settings (which took forever). When i finally showed the noob at the genius bar what the "light leakage" problem was i had to show him my 8 GB 3g which is pretty nice and pimped out with the glass theme with the weather widget on the lock screen and a bunch of other stuff. He was like "holy crap" You know i cant look at that... right? i was like you know yours is done to! just thought i would share my first Apple store experience.

17. PepeRB29

PepeRB29 New Member

cool story hansel