Is there any way to save visual voicemails longer than 30 days?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

motuser

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I wasn't aware the phone would automatically delete my voicemails after 30 days. In addition to saving them longer, does anyone know if we can get voicemails back that the phone has deleted without warning? It does NOT just move them to the deleted folder...:(

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
this is controlled by AT&T. i think they sell an enhanced voicemail package (though i'm not sure if it can be applied to iPhone plans) that allows you to store your voicemails for a longer period of time. but it's not indefinite - AT&T has a limited amount of storage for your voicemails and won't let you keep them forever...

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I wasn't aware the phone would automatically delete my voicemails after 30 days. In addition to saving them longer, does anyone know if we can get voicemails back that the phone has deleted without warning? It does NOT just move them to the deleted folder...:(
If you jailbreak your phone, you can save the voicemail files to your computer. Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's another way.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
As MC said, its AT&T, not the phone. Most carriers automatically delete voicemails after 30 days.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
That was going to my question -- how/what app allows me to save these files? TIA
If you're jailbroken, use your favorite method to access your phone (iBrickr, WinSCP, Cyberduck, etc) and navigate to:

/var/root/Library/Voicemail/

Your voicemails will be all listed here, in .amr format. Just copy them from your phone over to your computer. Both Quicktime and Real Player will play .amr files.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
wow thats retarted... i came over from nextel and i couuld leave voicemails in the box for however i wanted to... i had voicemails from 2 years ago still on there... just stupid drunk voicemails from friends and stuff like that... thats bull they cant delete your voicemails thats your personal informaion that you may need.... like you get a voicemail that latter you find out could help solve a murder or save you from getting sued by your ex-wife or something like that...

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
wow thats retarted... i came over from nextel and i couuld leave voicemails in the box for however i wanted to... i had voicemails from 2 years ago still on there... just stupid drunk voicemails from friends and stuff like that... thats bull they cant delete your voicemails thats your personal informaion that you may need.... like you get a voicemail that latter you find out could help solve a murder or save you from getting sued by your ex-wife or something like that...
erm yes, something like that...

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
There has to be a way to retrieve the information because of those reasons. Just how there is a way to retrieve e-mails on ay computer, unless someone knows what they are doing or not running through the companies server!

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
keep it in the inbox for 29 days then delete them and they will be in the "delted messages" for another 30...

you almost doubled the time you can keep them for...

or..

download them, and put them back on your phone as ringtones, or as music, make a playlist for "voicemails.." i mean if you reeeeeeeallywant to have your voicemails with you....

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Each carrier has their own TOS agreement (which you've already agreed to by the time you receive your first voicemail).

If you have a voicemail that "could help solve a murder or save you from getting sued by your ex-wife", it would probably be important enough to raise some red flags in your head. If you didn't feel it necessary to backup the message somewhere at that point, then it's your own fault for a) not backing up the message and b) not understanding the TOS of your carrier who says VM's over 30 days will be deleted.

Can't argue against something that you've already agreed to in advance.

exilio

Oct 4, 2007
keep it in the inbox for 29 days then delete them and they will be in the "delted messages" for another 30...

you almost doubled the time you can keep them for...

or..

download them, and put them back on your phone as ringtones, or as music, make a playlist for "voicemails.." i mean if you reeeeeeeallywant to have your voicemails with you....
Nice ideas. :cool:

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i guess if you've recently killed someone and need a voicemail to cover yourself, you should probably jailbreak your phone..