Is there any way to transfer data from old phone's SIM card to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by i8iphone8i, Sep 1, 2011.

1. i8iphone8i

i8iphone8i New Member

I recently got the new iPhone 4 but it doesn't have my contacts and old text messages etc. I previously had the iPhone 3gs. When I upgraded my iPhone 3gs to iPhone 4 they gave me a new sim card but it was basically a replica of my old sim card (eg.same number).

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I think that u should be able to sync it with the computer you used to sync your 3GS and get a lot of that back. Contacts for sure. I don't think text messages though.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can transfer contacts to an iPhone from a SIM card that has contacts saved on it with the Import Contacts feature in Settings. However, although some phones will allow you to save your contacts to your SIM card, you cannot save them to a SIM card with an iPhone. Messages cannot be downloaded from a SIM card.

You can restore your new phone from a backup that was created on your old phone or you can back up your contact in an email account and then sync them onto the phone through iTunes.

Sync contacts to an email account and then to the phone:
    [​IMG]

To restore from backup created on your 3GS, right click on your phone here:
    [​IMG]

Then choose the most recent backup:
    [​IMG]

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Too bad the user was asking about an iPhone.... Not iPod ;)

#4 RoofMonkey, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  5. winan

winan New Member

The iPhone has no native mechanism to save contacts or messages to a SIM card. If you have been using iTunes to synchronize your old iPhone, you can restore your new iPhone from your latest backup. You can do a backup with your old phone even if the SIM card is inactive.