Is there still no way to power up a dead iPhone without delay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duck1098, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member

So many times I was in the middle of an important conversation and the phones dies. Having to wait till it has some charge is beyond ridiculous. Since these morons haven't changed that in the new iPhones, has anyone come up with app that would overright that?
  2. verwon

verwon Evangelist

Exactly how do you expect an app to do anything about the fact that you let the battery die?

No, there's nothing you can do other than charge your phone more often.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. talon90

talon90 Member

Here's a thought. The phone warns you visibly and audibly at 20 percent battery remaining and 10 percent battery remaining. Pretend it's an app that is asking you to charge the battery. When it does, plug it in for a few minutes.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Jerome G

Jerome G Member

Other thoughts, keep your phone charged, kept it plugged in while talking (especially important calls), get an external battery -either case or battery backup.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius

I never leave home without one of mine.
  7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius

Fine print in your contract states that apple and your carrier aren't responsible for any money lost due to use of a cell phone (battery dies, dropped calls etc). It is not a reliable source of communication.
    It also says in your user guide that the battery has to be charged for the phone to work. you can access your user guide on the web (if your battery is charged)

My land line has never dropped a call or ended one due to power loss.
  8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius

You see the icon shaped like a battery in the upper right-hand corner of the display? When it turns red, it's trying to tell you something. Kinda like a street light.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
  9. iPutz

iPutz Contributor

When the battery dies, that's it. It will need a few moment to put some power back into a flat battery before it will fire up again. The device is protecting itself. That is true of many smartphones besides the iPhone. Carry a charger or external battery pack with you if needed. The phone will give you plenty of warning before it shuts down, why wait so long?
  10. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

All fun aside (and yes, the exasperated tone of the OP is indeed funny), it should be feasible to design the phone so that it would power up instantly when it's plugged in even with a dead battery. Perhaps it would require a more powerful AC charger, but other devices can do it so the request is not ridiculous.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jerome G

Jerome G Member

The point is kind of ridiculous if you think about it. It does take a minute or so to power up when dead. Shorter time if you plug it in right after it dies.
    So if you are on a call and the phone dies, the OP is wanting to plug it in right away to get back to the call quickly.
    Well, if the charger is so close that you could do that, you should have had it plugged in prior to it dying.
  12. Europa

Europa Moderator

There is no app to override this. As far as I know, the 5% is a safety mechanism Apple programed in to prevent damage to the phone that could be caused from the phone powering down due to battery depletion while it's rebooting. This could happen if someone put it on the charger for a very short time (after the battery died) and then removed it from the charger as it was booting with insufficient power to complete the boot.