is this a common thing to happen?

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
ok so i had a 4gb iPhone for exactly a year, today my warrently ended so i went to the Apple store because i noticed my battery life could be better and a new iPhone wouldn't hurt. i go there they were cool with switching it out (but ran some tests first) and switched it, i went home plugged it in and noticed they gave me a 8gb iPhone :), i haven't called them and told them but was it just an accident or did they completely run out of 4gb so they had to give me an 8gb? anyway no complaints

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Did you ask for an 8 GB? I imagine they may have run out of 4 GB iPhone v1s by now but that is definitely not a typical experience unless the person asks and usually pays a difference. Nice job on the 8 GB though.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I'm almost certain there aren't any 4gb phones left in inventory.

MiPhone7012

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Seattle, WA
Did you ask for an 8 GB? I imagine they may have run out of 4 GB iPhone v1s by now but that is definitely not a typical experience unless the person asks and usually pays a difference. Nice job on the 8 GB though.
no didn't ask for anything but a new iPhone. but i always thought that the company would make 4gb for this reason...replacements. but im happy and i didn't pay a differance either.

thanks for the reply

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
no didn't ask for anything but a new iPhone. but i always thought that the company would make 4gb for this reason...replacements. but im happy and i didn't pay a differance either.

thanks for the reply
Many times when something breaks that is under warranty and the model you bought is no longer available you get the upgrade for free. That's just how it works. It's no longer beneficial to continue making the 4gb.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I just sent my V1 4gb in to Apple care and they sent me back a 4gb :( oh well i have a nice new shiny white 16gb now anyway the 4gb is going to my sister in law

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
My friend experienced this same thing. They replaced her 4GB phone with an 8GB about 4 months ago no questions asked. Kindav a rip off to the ones who payed $100 more though... (totally not ripping on you, MiPhone7012.. no hard feelings man haha)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The very reason I've got Applecare on my first gen iPhone. By the time I have battery troubles, I'm hoping they'll have to give me a 3G version. :)