Is this manufacturing flaw covered by the Warranty?

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
I've had my iPhone 3G for almost a year now, yet this is the first time I've actually realized this was a problem. You see, I've had my iPhone 3G in a silicone case since day one so I sorta forgot about it (tho I've been aware of it), but the problem is that the "chrome" rim does not align perfectly with the rest of the black backing. This in effect causes a sliver of the black shell to stick out a little bit from the rest of the phone to create a thin, but rather rough/sharp edge that I've nicked my fingers on once or twice recently (thus providing the impetus to finally get it checked). Is this a problem that is covered by the warranty? because I consider this bad worksmanship.

Below is an illustration of the problem b/c I lack a camera except for the one on my iPhone :p

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
You probably could get it warrantied. There's a chance they would send it off to check it out or just give you another. If it bugs you enough, I'd go in and have them look. Just make a reservation... I bet it takes 15 minutes to find out.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, I called my nearest Apple store for a reservation, but their earliest open spot is during the weekend (which I'll unfortunately be away for), so I made an earlier appointment at a store further away, and I wanted to make sure beforehand so I wasn't wasting my time if I didn't have to.

I never really cared about the misalignment before (and I actually thought it was standard for awhile too), but recently I've started to go case-less (partly b/c my case has gotten really loose) and it's just become very noticeable when I hold it in my hand and it scratches me a bit.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I had my first 3G replaced with no problem due to a misalignment issue. You should be fine.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
I had my first 3G replaced with no problem due to a misalignment issue. You should be fine.
That's good to hear. I'm just worried they might play hardball with me b/c they might consider it a "minor" flaw, but I know I'm within my warranty period, so here's hoping.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Take it back. They'll replace it for that.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Nice picture.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
Awesome. I just came back from the Apple Store and they did replace my phone. However, now I'm noticing some up&down "jiggling" on the silent switch when I thumb it. Is that within normal parameters? I don't really mind it, but I want to make sure it's not like an indicator of a loose/broken switch.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I don't feel any jiggling on mine or my wife's. I remember at the Apple store a lady turned hers in because her switch fell off. She was out of warranty but they replaced it anyways because it was a known issue.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
I don't feel any jiggling on mine or my wife's. I remember at the Apple store a lady turned hers in because her switch fell off. She was out of warranty but they replaced it anyways because it was a known issue.
On closer inspection, it looks like that "slit" they cut into the black shell where the silent switch comes out of is just a tad bigger than the actual switch, resulting in the jiggling. Still wonder if that's gonna be troublesome though?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Man, 3G cases are a pain in the butt compared to V1 cases.

Unfortunately, the silent switch should not wiggle, so you likely have a problem that could get worse down the line. The 3G has a pretty well-known issue with the silent switch breaking or just not working over time. Whether or not Apple will replace for that preemptively is anyone's guess.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
Man, 3G cases are a pain in the butt compared to V1 cases.

Unfortunately, the silent switch should not wiggle, so you likely have a problem that could get worse down the line. The 3G has a pretty well-known issue with the silent switch breaking or just not working over time. Whether or not Apple will replace for that preemptively is anyone's guess.
Aw man. :mad: Right now, it's just a really small jiggle (it'll only move a bit when I actually thumb it), and it's not the metal switch itself that's moving, but the black flat base it's on (the part where the orange dot is printed on). Hopefully that's okay?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hate to again be the bearer of bad news, but there is no metal in that switch. It is chrome-painted plastic from tip to base, and that jiggling motion could easily make it snap over time... it's happened to many 3G owners :(

Sorry. :(

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
Hate to again be the bearer of bad news, but there is no metal in that switch. It is chrome-painted plastic from tip to base, and that jiggling motion could easily make it snap over time... it's happened to many 3G owners :(

Sorry. :(
Oh geez. :( I hope it won't break b/c I use the switch quite often like when I'm in class. Please Please Please Apple lords, don't let it snap!

rmfnla

Bronze
In my experience, Apple rarely responds to prayers, their management's god-complex notwithstanding.

The switch issue is well-known so if it breaks you get to go visit the Apple Gang once again.

cheri1216

Jun 5, 2009
Louisiana USA
I feel as much as we pay for these phones you should take it back, why wait for a possible problem later