Is this true that about the 3G?

Jun 15, 2008
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if we have had to have the 8gig first generation iPhone inorder to get the price of $199 on the 3g iPhone? I am really confused about that and I think I saw it on the Apple. I bought the 4gig iPhone when it first came out last year, but I am not sure whether or not to upgrade? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if we have had to have the 8gig first generation iPhone inorder to get the price of $199 on the 3g iPhone? I am really confused about that and I think I saw it on the Apple. I bought the 4gig iPhone when it first came out last year, but I am not sure whether or not to upgrade? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!
The $199 and $299 price points for anybody who signs a new 2-year contract with Att. Att has not yet said if they will sell the phone for anything but those prices. There isn't a trade in program or anything like that if you have a V1 iPhone.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yeah, you don't need to already have one. Anyone can get those prices.

May 6, 2007
United States
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Nope, the announced prices are just subsidized prices that come along with a 2-year contract with AT&T. There is no incentive, at this point, for being an early adopter and a buyer of the first iPhone, but we will see if they discount.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If you are already on AT&T with another device and you aren't eligible for an upgrade yet, then you won't qualify for the $199 and $299 prices. At&t hasn't announced what the non-subsidized price will be yet.

If you're with another carrier like T-Mobile or Sprint, then you will qualify for the lower pricing as a new customer.

If you already have a current iPhone data plan on your contract, you will automatically qualify for the lower prices and your new contract will replace the remainder of your original iPhone contract.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
If you are already on AT&T with another device and you aren't eligible for an upgrade yet, then you won't qualify for the $199 and $299 prices. At&t hasn't announced what the non-subsidized price will be yet.

If you already have a current iPhone data plan on your contract, you will automatically qualify for the lower prices and your new contract will replace the remainder of your original iPhone contract.

Where did you hear this?

So according to you...

-If you have an iPhone but are not eligible for upgrade you still get the $199-299 price.

-If you have a different AT&T phone but are not eligible for upgrade you don't get the $199-$299 price.

That dosen't sound very likely. Would be a reason for me to hold onto the old iPhone till release though.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Where did you hear this?

So according to you...

-If you have an iPhone but are not eligible for upgrade you still get the $199-299 price.

-If you have a different AT&T phone but are not eligible for upgrade you don't get the $199-$299 price.

That dosen't sound very likely. Would be a reason for me to hold onto the old iPhone till release though.
This is the way i understand it also.

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
It also says...

*iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased in store.
*Return period has been changed from 14 days to 30 days
*$199 and $299 pricing is for new activations or qualified upgrades with a 2-year agreement
*2G iPhone data rate plans will remain available for 2G device suntil further notice
*The new iPhone 3G data plan is $30/month and includes unlimited data and visual voicemail
*There is not a no commitment price. This means you can’t just walk in and bang $500 on your credit card and walk out.
*If you are an existing iPhone customer in good standing, you will be able to extend your contract for two years when the iPhone 3G launches and get the ill-na-na $199/$299 price point. Doesn’t matter when you bought an iPhone either.
*AT&T and Apple stores “unbrick” the iPhone 3G at time of purchase, but for some reason if that doesn’t happen, you’ll be required to use iTunes at home.
*Pre-paid and Pick Your Plan will not be allowed on iPhone 3G
*Device purchase limit remains at (3) per customer in AT&T stores.
*2G iPhones to remain as demo models in AT&T stores “until further notice”.
*AT&T stores will get rate brochures, 22 x 28 posters, and window banners
*Launch day will mirror last year’s launch. This includes extended store hours, crowd controls, etc. Security will be provided to stores requesting armed police or guards.
*AT&T is working with Apple to roll out GPS-enabled applications.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is the part I am talking about.

Upgrade Eligibility and Qualified Upgrade Pricing
Upgrade eligibility will be determined based on standard upgrade eligibility rules. Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida

If you're with another carrier like T-Mobile or Sprint, then you will qualify for the lower pricing as a new customer.

Thank you so much for this info. I am not eligible for an upgrade, since I bought a BB pearl a few months before the iPhone. But I have an iPhone data plan on my ATT plan, so I am good to get a new 3G, then (for the subsidised pice). Sorry for the strange run one sentence.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
It also says...

*iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased in store.
*Return period has been changed from 14 days to 30 days
*$199 and $299 pricing is for new activations or qualified upgrades with a 2-year agreement
*2G iPhone data rate plans will remain available for 2G device suntil further notice
*The new iPhone 3G data plan is $30/month and includes unlimited data and visual voicemail
*There is not a no commitment price. This means you can’t just walk in and bang $500 on your credit card and walk out.
*If you are an existing iPhone customer in good standing, you will be able to extend your contract for two years when the iPhone 3G launches and get the ill-na-na $199/$299 price point. Doesn’t matter when you bought an iPhone either.
*AT&T and Apple stores “unbrick” the iPhone 3G at time of purchase, but for some reason if that doesn’t happen, you’ll be required to use iTunes at home.
*Pre-paid and Pick Your Plan will not be allowed on iPhone 3G
*Device purchase limit remains at (3) per customer in AT&T stores.
*2G iPhones to remain as demo models in AT&T stores “until further notice”.
*AT&T stores will get rate brochures, 22 x 28 posters, and window banners
*Launch day will mirror last year’s launch. This includes extended store hours, crowd controls, etc. Security will be provided to stores requesting armed police or guards.
*AT&T is working with Apple to roll out GPS-enabled applications.
According to this info, there will still be a $20 2G data plan. Do you know if you can get a 2G data plan for this instance: My plan is to buy 3G, put my phone number on the 3G phone and give hubby v1 and get him the 2G data plan in it. Thanks!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
According to this info, there will still be a $20 2G data plan. Do you know if you can get a 2G data plan for this instance: My plan is to buy 3G, put my phone number on the 3G phone and give hubby v1 and get him the 2G data plan in it. Thanks!
Yes you can.